Moving away from home

slightlylonely

So i'm from a small town (5,000- I like to think it's like twin peaks.... it's not) and it's cramped alright, but i'm also deeply rooted in my comfort zone here. I'm moving to uni soon, in less than a year, and will be 5 hours away with no family, friends or familiar faces. A part of me, the brave part that I like to think is the real me, not affected by anxiety, is excited to explore a new world, a different city, and have people not know me.
However, my anxiety does exist and I fear that I'll get into my dorm room, become so overwhelmed and scared that I don't leave my bed for all of O-week, which means I won't meet any new people or just be a total anxious mess that no one will like me and I'll get lost in the city or on campus and just fail at life and school.
Any advice so I don't fall apart or into my old habits where I don't leave bed for a week?

Miserum

I've been in this situation for the most part. I was really friendly and outgoing for the first two months at school. I made a bunch of friends doing this, but eventually my SA caught up to me and I spent a lot of time alone.

In retrospect, I think you just need to accept yourself no matter the situation, with your faults and all. How you go about that is really up to the individual I think. When you do this, it will be much easier to socialize. Realize that other people may have qualities that you think are "better" than what you have, and accept it as is. Don't be jealous or envious, take it as inspiration or even just accept it period. If you constantly compare yourself to them and put yourself down, you're going to end up feeling like shit. If people make fun of you sometimes, don't stress too much; they're either doing it out of insecurity, or to appeal to other people to gain their approval. Also, don't be pressured to talk all the time in a group setting. You really don't need to. People might call you quiet or ask you why you're quiet if you don't speak a lot, but from my experience it's usually an honest inquiry and not said out of spite. They can still like you as a person even if they do think you're quiet and keep to yourself.

Maybe just challenge yourself to go out once in a while, giving yourself space and alone time, and try to find a couple of friends you can bond with, rather than a large group.

Most importantly, be nice to people. Not everyone is going to love you, or even like you, but that's how life is. Just be nice regardless (unless you're being constantly harassed and bullied, but that probably won't happen), be yourself, and focus on your studies. That's all I can really say.

Last edited:

slightlylonely

Thanks, that's actually really helpful to hear. I honestly feel like I'm in constant battle with my anxiety daily, but now I feel like acceptance is the next step.

Miserum

No problem. Your experience will undoubtedly differ from mine, but as they say "Learn from the mistakes of others." Good luck!