Most of us are young, which raises the question

Do you think most people here are in their teens or 20's because most people who use the internet and join forums are young, or because you grow out of having SA as you get older?

JonnyD_

i've said a lot of people in 30 and 40 here, but well i think there are most 20s here because of the factor internet, many people do overcome most of it due the age, but most older people don't like computers much and don't know its an actual illness, i think most of us found out about SA throught the internet, so thats enought to me to conclude :)...

if i tell it to my father, who is 48 and uses internet fairly well, about SA he would laught... (he's great , just stubborn)

Smokeringz

Both, But my uncle has agraphobia and hes in his fourtys. so ayone can really have it but most are in there teens.

Dave_McFadden

Day_Tripper said:
Do you think most people here are in their teens or 20's because most people who use the internet and join forums are young, or because you grow out of having SA as you get older?

The internet/joining forums thing. You don't necessarily "grow out of it". Some people *****, and others, by stupid luck, find a partner and get on with their lives. I guess some others get help and cure it, but that's not really growing out of it.

It always irritates me when I hear young people being told by older adults that they'll "grow out of it" someday. I was told that at that age, and I still ain't grown out of it. I guess that happens sometimes, but there are no guarantees.

Im in my 20s, when i was in high school though all i did was lock myself in my room an surf the net or play pc games CS,D2,SC,Aoe,Wc etc.I learned alot about the world an myself through the internet it's a beautiful thing but also like somebody said a double edged sword.

Reholla

Day_Tripper said:

I can't say this for sure yes or no... but what I know from experience is i have definitely overcome my SA, and i think i am completely recovered. I may even get more outgoing as i get older, who knows!

My mom said she herself was painfully shy as a teen, and she says she has worked on becoming more outgoing. And i think she is very outgoing.

But i just see a huge difference in how i was years ago compared to now. THANK GOD! I am not this hugely gregarious person. But i can be outgoing when i need to be, and thats how i would like it. I dont want to be that phony, outgoing person. i just want to be me and like myself.

Having said that, I can't say for sure if i think its only in young people or if only young people are interested in joining forums like this. But i do know when i had it (SA), I was desperately searching the internet for info, and was so happy to find this site w/ people going thru similar things.

Anyway, my 2 cents... you can tell from what other people wrote that there are different opinions on it..

Slothrop

Definitely the former, though I think it isn't simply that younger people are more inclined to use internet forums. For many here, in particular those still living with parents, I suspect this is one of the only places they have to talk about their issues. They may not be able to talk to their parents about it, and if you haven't "come out" about it to your parents, you almost certainly aren't seeing a therapist, either. Friends, if you even have them, may not understand or you may be too afraid of alienating them by mentioning it. At that point you just want to know that you're not the only one, whereas the older you get, the more that doing something about it becomes important, and the more likely you are to have people closer to you to talk about it with.

You don't grow out of it naturally, of that I am certain. Only though your own efforts will you make any real progress. It's true that over time, you may be forced into uncomfortable situations and be forced to adapt, but your anxiety will always make you drift towards a comfortable shell of avoidance. How much this affects your life depends on what situations in particular your anxiety manifests in. Some could probably make it through their entire lives avoiding those situations, though that's still a terrible way to live.

I first realized I had a problem when I was around 14, and I'm 25 now. As proud as I am at the progress I've made, I haven't even remotely reached where I thought I would be. I had always trusted that someday it would just be over. That day never came. It was only fairly recently that I realized that I was simply telling myself the most comforting lie, the one that meant I could just go on living the way I was without having to face the ordeal of change.

I think that anybody who has found themselves growing older but not really growing wishes they could send a message to their past self, like "You do not have all the time in the world." It will have to suffice to say it to your current self every day.

My two cents, anyway.

PhantomPod

I definitely think that it is just a matter of the younger generation being more into the Internet. Which, yes, can be both good and bad. Good for finding a community with others you can actually relate to. Bas because it can be quite a distraction and avoidance tool. I discovered message boards in high school and that was ALL I did. I didn't even have a hobby like a sport or instrument or something. I would just come home from school every single day of my life and spend hours talking on message boards.

Walk

Even though I've been putting effort in improving my life, eg, talking to people, attempting to get a girlfriend, etc, things have been going pretty slow for me.

I really do hope that I will be enjoying life in the not too distant future, because I honestly believe a life with the quality of mine is not worth living. I'm not sure how much more of this mess I'm willing to tolerate. Maybe I'm not trying hard enough, we'll see.

silentworld

i think it might be both, personally i've always been shy, but in the last 4 years or so i started to get panic attacks and problems with crowds or social situations a lot, with the yearss becomes worst, still im working on it

I'm 21, but I think it varies on all ages. I'm sure there are plenty of older people just like us that don't have internet excess or just havent found this site yet.