More hope for a cure

MarCPatt

Removal of Molecule Helps Mice to Mingle
From Times Staff and Wire Reports

Depressed loner mice get more sociable when researchers delete a memory molecule from their brains, a finding that might help treat human ills like social phobia and post-traumatic stress, scientists said Thursday.

This molecular therapy worked about as well as giving mice the antidepressants Prozac or Tofranil, the researchers reported in the current issue of the journal Science.

They targeted a molecule in a section of the brain known to be related to sensations of pleasure and danger, said Olivier Berton of the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, one of the report's authors. Deleting the molecule meant that the mice never got depressed and fearful, even though conditions were set up that normally would make them run away and hide.

Zipper

There will never be a cure for life, pain and fear except death. If you want to be sedated, lobotimized, or mashed, then we already have procedures for that.

bluenow

Zipper said:
There will never be a cure for life, pain and fear except death. If you want to be sedated, lobotimized, or mashed, then we already have procedures for that.

Oh, did you see that in your magic ball?

introvert

Researchers stated "This is a breakthrough, the benefits this will have for humans are tremendous!". One reporter asked "Do we know if memory is affected in any way by the procedure?", while glancing nervously at the experimental mouse which was ceremoniously bumping into a wall. The research team responded "No of course not, it's perfectly safe!".

I for one welcome this new treatment.

Hurricane

introvert said:
"Do we know if memory is affected in any way by the procedure?", as he observed the experimental mouse ceremoniously bumping into a wall, to which the research team responded "None that we have detected".

lol how promising, besides that I would be the first one to have it done

Septor

I read that to but it will be long time before we can go into doctor office and get it done on us.Who knows what the side effect are.Well it still means there hope out there for a complete cure hopefully.

nighthawk

Hey MarC,

I had no idea that there was such a thing as a depressed loner rat. :( The study sounds interesting, but I don't know if no fear would always be a good thing, like when there's a cat around :? But I guess it's a step in the right direction, if they ever develop something more reliable than the 'trial and error' drugs they have now.

Although, for me anyway, most of my fears are a result of maladaptive thinking, negative conditioning and all that stuff, which I don't think a drug or single treatment can repair. Maybe, a little loss of some of those bad memories wouldn't be a bad side effect :D

PEACE