Mitral Valve Prolapse

djnexus911

I was doing some research online today although I shouldnt because it makes worrying worse I found out that anxiety and panic attacks can be caused by Mitral Valve Prolapse if you have the condition. And I guess somewere around 1 in 5 people have it or something like that with light to mild cases. I noticed alot of the symptoms are the same symptoms I have which could explain the excessive back pain im having quite often as well as feeling dizzy and nauseated at times. Some of the symptoms.

Sensitive to light or sound *
Lump in the throat *
Migraine headaches *
Dizzy spacey feeling *
Difficulty concentrating *
Balance problems *
Insomnia or sleep disturbances *
Hyperventalation or shortness of breath *
Palpatations of heart or skipped beats
panic attacks with pounding heartbeat *
phantom chest pain with no apparent psyological cause *
hypersensitive startle reflex
cold sweats *
numbness in the fingers and or toes *
bowel urgency, diarehha, constipation
sensitivity to drugs, caffiene and stimulants *
arm, back, or shoulder discomfort *
problems with memory or feelings of fogginess*

out of all those symptoms every one with an * by it I experience. And today while out hiking for a few miles with a buddy I became dizzy and lightheaded after walking up a few hills with my heart pounding which really scared me. And the hills werent even really that big and then I got a pain in my left leg. Has anyone ever heard of this or have this? I was wondering if it was life threatening. I definately wanna have a doctor check out my heart better to be sure. Thanks.

SilentType

Banned
I was diagnosed with MVP when I was little. When I was about 17 I was diagnosed with panic disorder. My psychiatrist told me the two conditions could very well be related, but there's no real way of knowing what caused the panic attacks to start in the first place.

The only life threatening problem with MVP occurs in severe cases when may blood collect on or near the mitral valve, resulting in a heart infection. That's why dentists make people with MVP take antibiotics before appointments.

It's probably a good idea to see how bad your case of MVP is though. I actually got an EKG done a couple years ago and the doc didn't even notice it until I brought it up. He said "it's not even true MVP," whatever that's supposed to mean lol. He explained that some people's MVP gets better with age as their heart grows and stretches out the floppy mitral valve.

I hope I shed at least a little light on the subject for you.

Peace

djnexus911

Thanks for replying, yea im not 100% sure if i have it or not its just kinda odd i have tons of the same symptoms as MVP. I tried calling around today to a few family doctors trying to get one because I dont currently dont have a family doctor and its been frusterating because im 25 and not working currently, and I dont have any health insurance. So now ive gotta wait till monday and call back this one doctor to see if she'll accept me. Alot of doctors have diffrent criteria's and some wont accept you without insurance etc., can definately be frustrating.

SilentType

Banned
It doesn't really help to know that I have MVP. There still is nothing I can do about my recurring panic attacks except live with them and numb my brain with Xanax everyday so I don't go nuts.

Peace

djnexus911

Sometimes I feel like im going nuts, I worry constantly with headaches and dizzyness alot ontop of the anxiety and panic. Sucks big time. Cant wait to get on meds hopefully it wont take long. It sucks when everyone around me can see how I am feeling and telling me I need help.

SilentType

Banned
I feel your pain. I'm 21 and I've been through all the meds and therapies available. Unfortunately, nothing has come from these treatments. Just an addiction to Xanax and all the side effects that come with it. I'm on SSI and I'm living in my parents house. I only have 12 college credits to my name and I'm around $7,000 in debt.

Panic disorder has truly ****ed up my life. Living life isn't even worth it to me anymore. The daily pain I go through far exceeds my ability to cope. The worst part is that everyone around me can't conceive of what I'm going through. They believe I should be able to just snap out of it. Just the other day my dad said, "You're 21 years old, and it's time to get your life together." If only it was that simple...

Hang in there man. You just gotta believe that there are better days ahead. You gotta make goals and do the best you can to achieve them. All you can do is keep on truckin', and not give a damn about what the people around you think. They can't comprehend what you're going through, so their opinion simply shouldn't matter.

Peace

djnexus911

Thanks for replying SilentType, about your dad yea alot of people just dont realize what anxiety/panic sufferers go thru on top of other things they could be dealing with I know I suffer from paranoid thoughts alot to. Sometime I just feel like im beyond repair. If only it were as easy as snapping out of it. Your dads gonna have to realize that everything thing takes time ecspecially with these things. Id pay any amount of money or do anything to get my life back and feel the way I used to. Also I went to the ER last night and I told the doctor about what was going on (with the mitral valve prolapse symptoms ive been having) and they did blood work, catscan (because I had been feeling dizzy), and an EKG. Everything turned up ok but he said I still may wanna see a cardiologist to get an ultrasound on my heart. I told him about the anxiety ive been having every single day and asked if he could give me something until I see my counseler/doctor the first of may to start on some anxiety/panic meds so he prescribed me ativan 1mg I believe. I also picked up 30$ worth of vitamins at the store last night when I was looking on line for vitamins that would help relieve anxiety/panic as well, because most people dont get the vitamin intake they should everyday I know I dont.

Remus

Staff member

Interzone

I was just about to make a thread about this, good thing I did a search first. I was diagnosed with MVP by a cardiologist while I was very young in elementary school. I kept complaining about 'electrifying' chest pain spasms and heart palpitations.

I've also read, just like the OP, that MVP increases the possibility of anxiety disorders in people with the condition and I suspect that is the case with me.

So in hopes of reviving this deaden thread, anyone else have MVP?