Misdiagnosed with a Personality Disorder...What should I do?

Polly_Princess

In my teenage years (I'm now 20), I was misdiagnosed with (a provisional diagnosis) Borderline Personality (highly-functioning subtype), due to (I guess) my suicidal obsessions and my depressive moods. However, I'm at least 99% sure that this diagnosis is not correct. I've done a lot of (and I mean A LOT) of research, both at a 'popular' level and using academic literature and I do not believe I met the criteria.

I went to discuss my concerns with my doctor (the one who I'd been seeing for a while and who I had discussed my psych problems with in detail) and although she can't SAY it (as a GP can't undermine the psychiatrist opinion in this case), she suggests strongly that there is nothing wrong with me in the psych sense at all. She keeps telling me "that's normal", "that's healthy" e.t.c. She's not dismissing my concerns. She's a good doctor and genuinely believes I'm fine.

I decided to change doctors to raise the issue. This one acted like I was exaggerating my symptoms and acted non-chalant.

What should I do to get Borderline OFF the record? It is inaccurate and I hate the idea of it being on my record!

It doesn't even matter. Lots of people get misdiagnosed and some never do. The important thing is what you know and believe.

I imagine most of our health care records read like a whose who of one flew over the cuckoo's nest (for those that remember that)

I am ok now ...but..it also crosses my mind what my records read like after 20 yrs of this !!

but hey ho ...thats how it is and no point in worrying over it now ! something has to be written and gp's put down their opinions regardless and always will.