Mild results thus far with Robinul- a few questions

Phoenix_Elite

Hi, guys. I got a prescription for Robinul last Saturday, primordially for my palmar hyperhidrosis. I started with 1mg but increased the dose when the week started to test it out in school. As it happened, I didn't have school all week because there was a problem with the water pump. When I found out on Tuesday that I was free the whole day, I was already in school, and so were a bunch of my friends. To my surprise, I didn't sweat. I borrowed a guitar just for kicks (I play the piano) and I managed to play without sweating at all. It was going well until yesterday, when I sweat quite a bit in a medical appointment. I sweat this morning too. I'm not ready to discard the pills yet, but I have some questions which I hope can help me get better results:
  • 1. Does the fact that it's generic diminish its effectiveness in any way whatsoever?

2. I'm taking two 1mg pills in the morning, an hour before breakfast. Is this enough for someone with mild general hyperhidrosis?

3. I'm applying a 20% aluminum chloride solution (Hypercare) nightly and every morning, as I have for the past year or so, in conjunction with Robinul. Does aluminum in some queer way counteract the effects of glycopyrrolate?

4. Do I have to take the pills for a certain ammount of time before the full effects kick in?
Any recommendation and advice is welcome as well. Thanks in advance!

margiehope

HI!

I think we're all a little uncomfortable giving quasi-medical advice, but oh well.

If you do have Robinul, you have a brand name med--but I don't think it should matter--it's the glyco that works.

Your timing is right (an hour before breakfast so your body can absorb it ) but you may need more. What did your doctor/pharmacist advise?

I was told a maximun of 8 mg a day, in divided doses. In fact I've never taken that much, but take 2x2mg pills and 1 more if it's really hot/humid or I expect to be really active.

You will also find (well, actually you HAVE found) that you may need different amounts on different days. HH is very strange and very personal.

No it shouldn't take time to kick in. Finding your optimum dose may take a while though.

Good luck!

Phoenix_Elite

margiehope said:
What did your doctor/pharmacist advise?
Well, my doctor hadn't heard of glycopyrrolate before I told her about Robinul, but she knows how much hyperhidrosis affects me and prescribed 1mg pills, telling me to take one every morning and see how it goes. I increased the dose to 2mg once a day because it wasn't really doing much. I'm running out of pills now but as soon as I can get my refill I'll try 2mg twice a day. When do you take the second daily pill? Thanks again!

hyp-hi

That's true, glycopyrrolate is an uncommon drug, and it is not primarily used for HH, so most doctors an pharmacists don't have a lot of experience with it.
As far as dosage goes, I agree with the people above, you just gotta start with a small amount and increase it as needed. It's like trial and error to see what works best. For me, I am taking like 1-2 mg in the morning before I go to work, and then maybe 1 mg in the afternoon after work if I am sweating. I have been lucky though because it is air conditioned at my work so I stay cool. I didn't really answer your questions, but maybe it will help.

Phoenix_Elite

hyp-hi said:
That's true, glycopyrrolate is an uncommon drug, and it is not primarily used for HH, so most doctors an pharmacists don't have a lot of experience with it.
As far as dosage goes, I agree with the people above, you just gotta start with a small amount and increase it as needed. It's like trial and error to see what works best. For me, I am taking like 1-2 mg in the morning before I go to work, and then maybe 1 mg in the afternoon after work if I am sweating. I have been lucky though because it is air conditioned at my work so I stay cool. I didn't really answer your questions, but maybe it will help.
Every answer is appreciated hyp-hi!

Do you work in a calm environment? I think I wouldn't sweat half as much if my school were a "calm environment"...

margiehope

In answer to your question, I take both (or 3) 2mg pills in the A.M. This usually works all day. You could take the other one later, but then you're into "should take it 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal", which can get compilicated.

-M.

Phoenix_Elite

margiehope said:
In answer to your question, I take both (or 3) 2mg pills in the A.M. This usually works all day. You could take the other one later, but then you're into "should take it 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal", which can get compilicated.

-M.
I'll try that, sounds perfect. I'll have a go at it next week, tomorrow I'll just take 2mg because I'm going to be lazing off. Thanks again, and I'm glad Robinul worked out for you. I hope it does the same for me! :wink:

hyp-hi

Do you work in a calm environment? I think I wouldn't sweat half as much if my school were a "calm environment"...

Funny, I actually work in a school environment, and no it's not calm, but it's not that stressful most of the time.