Mental Self Harm = An Open Mind?

black_mamba

This is basically a theory that has been rolling aorund in my head (theres a bit of space in there it seems).

**Please Do Not Try This At Home**

Defense Mechanism Name: Maximum damage input

Method: Imagine the situation that could turn into a potentially nail-biting one. Then expand on it in all directions. What could be the most extreme negative thing that could happen as a direct result? Now fixate on this idea, imagine in glorious technicolcour. Repeat and rinse.

Results: The person attempting this method will become numb from over-analysing the negative side of future events. He/she will have now become so accustomed to this scary possibility that when and if it arises they will be well equiped mentally to brush it off thinking..oO(I knew this would happen, therefore I was ready for it and it doesn't hurt me anymore).

Side Effects: If used for prolonged periods, this method could lead to the formation of an overly open mind. All possibilites no matter how extreme seem like normality because this person has trained his mind to accept the worst.

----

It's like a form of mental self-harm whereby the person is cutting deep into their emotions so that the next time something hurts, it has no more pain to retrieve from that reserve - so it doesn't hurt anymore, except its numb. I hope this makes sense. (not to be associated with attention seeking self-harm).

When I say it gave me an open mind I mean this; I used to think so deeply about situations like; whats the worst thing someone could do sexually? And then pedophillia doesn't seem so extreme. (!!) This doesn't mean I felt it was morally right but that I become blasé about hearing about it on the news.

This is the ultimate defense mechanism I have used throughout my life. I think it has done more harm than good however and I just wanted to hear someone else's opinion on it. It's a bit weird though - I'll admit that.

Wow. I've been dying to talk about that. Even to myself.

And if no one understands it I'm just going to ramble on in my own little thread. All posters get free tea and biscuits!* :)

*not a bribe, black mamba is just kind. Honest!

GettingThere

In my humble opinion, a positive attitude is very important in; (A) overcoming SP, (B) achieving our dreams, and (C) avoiding major melancholy.

Meditating upon worst-case scenarios is something which I beieve would be likely to give us a negative attitude, certainly it would not foster a more positive one. Also, old habits die hard - you don't want to make a habit of looking at the glass half empty.

For these reasons I would say that you should be careful in approaching life in this manner.

redlady

I tend to catastpaphise things as well (it's not my conscious choice to do this), but i never become desensatised / numb to it. My mind does this to keep me inside and away from possible anxious situations, not to numb me from further pain. In every case what i have imagined - which is an extremely negative outcome - never happens of course - not once - but i still find myself doing this again and again. I hate the fact that my rational mind /thinking has no effect on my subconscious.

black_mamba

Hehe GettingThere, I think its too late for me, although I haven't used this technique for a long while so thats a good sign that my brain is healing a little bit.

redlady said:
I hate the fact that my rational mind /thinking has no effect on my subconscious.

Me too. Rational brain segment and subconsious segment need to start talking to each other!

J

Sounds like the thought version of desensitization or exposure therapy. Certainly sounds useful. :) Could als be a variant of my cynical "if you expect the worst, then you'll either be right or pleasantly surprised". :p

But yes, focusing on negativity probably isn't something we should do all the time. Which we do anyway :p LOL

Interesting concept.

black_mamba

Hehe, lets just call it extreme pessimism and... *black mamba brushes it under the carpet*

That'll do, no one will notice that huge lump in the floor. <--see, I can be optimistic if I try.

:lol:

Toad

yeah...i would probably consider myself an extreme pessimist...don't really think it's good for anything, but I can't really change it since I've been always looking at the bad side of things. It's very hard for me to see the good. Anything I do..no matter how good it is...I always see the negatives and not the positives. Lets see...last semester I got a 107 on a calc test...but I wasnt happy since I could have gotten a 108...yup Im that person...the person who always thinks he failed tests and always does good on them...doesn't make me happy though.

I hate it because whenever i see someone who is happy I think...why can't I be happy...I WANT to be happy but just can't seem to be because all i see is negative...and I don't see what they're happy about because...well I can't see it...anyways...done ranting. :roll:

*edit* ohh...wheres my tea and biscuits by the way? :lol: