Medication or Therapy? Maybe both, maybe neither?

Which applies to you?

• I have engaged in long-term therapy ONLY and it has been sufficient for me to live a better life tha

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have engaged in long-term therapy AND I am on prescribed medication, and I am improved (either of

• I have read self-help books and this alone has improved my situation greatly (I only needed to learn

• Self-help and some prescribed meds have worked for me

• I never tried any therapy, and started on medication from the offset. Though I realize I may not be

• Total voters

trasher

PLEASE read all options carefully. I know there are a lot, and it may seem cluttered, but this is a thorough poll and didn't lend itself well to just a couple concise questions. I realize any given person might identify with several of the options, but my aim here is for them to pick only the most appropriate.

Due to my own personal situation and general dissatisfaction with my own therapy, I wanted to Poll the SPW populace to get an idea of the effectiveness of therapy and or medication for them.

Since finding out exactly what I've had for the past 10 or so years has a name, I've been devoting a lot of time to reading all about the various treatments and their outcomes with certain individuals who I thought were at least analogous to my own case. Few people who have had SP paralyze them for a long while and have their confidence level at the very bottom-most rung seem to succeed in living a relatively normal life with just therapy alone, and it seems by reading around here that many people, the majority even, seem to be on some sort of prescribed medication to help them cope. So I created this poll, which isn't only supposed to measure the amount of those on medication, but also the amount who are satisfied with theirs.

My current therapist really is averse to medication; at least while I see him, but after around 15 hour-long sessions I have made very little progress with the exposure side of the therapy and don't see that changing soon. I find it really difficult to share with him exactly what I'm truly feeling and am still at the stage where I just nod and agree with most of what he says. I realize that all my problems stem from negative thoughts, but the extent of my therapy with this guy seems to be pushing for the triumph of positive thoughts over sentiment. I personally am now more towards giving up the therapy temporarily at least, getting some anti-depressant meds and trying my luck from there. I hope the meds might give me enough confidence to try another therapist.

Another question that I wanted to ask to those on medication was, do you feel that you have made any progress with your SP whatsoever while on meds, or once you discontinue them, do you find that very little has changed in your life and you get a desire to resume them? This worries me, and a lot hinges on this question to be honest. I have read many people saying that they come off of these SSRIs either the same as when they started them, or even worse. Often though, these people are neurotic antis who spend most of their free time on anti-Paxil sites and so on. I want a less prejudiced opinion.

Thanks to all who vote. :D

In the poll, long-term therapy is meant as anything over 10 sessions, and usually some sort of graduated exposure type therapy, such as CBT. Though there are talk therapies which could apply here.

Medication means prescribed by a professional for Social Phobia. Whether anti-depressants or other doesn't matter.