Medication Almighty and the Deadly Therapy Session

ljwwriter

Does anyone else have relatives who seem to think that if you just take medication that you will be able to function through daily life or am I the only one? My Dad keeps making it clear to me that he's genuinely under the misguided impression that if I take enough medications long enough I will be able to get on with life like any normal person. I just want to yell at him that he's being naive, but I just sit there and let him finish his 30 minute lecture. I suppose if I were so heavily medicated that I couldn't feel anything I might find my social anxiety more manageable, but what kind of pointless life would that be?

And tonight I have a family therapy session to look forward to, which I'm certain will be an all out attack on me and my character before it's all over. I was supposed to be going to the session alone, but my parents suddenly told me to reschedule it for a later time, meaning they wanted to come. This is only going to be my second meeting with this therapist but after tonight I wonder if her opinion of me will be soured by my parents inevitably being vocal about my apparent "laziness" and the short time scale my Dad has given me before he throws me out of the house.
He keeps telling me to be a man and ask relatives or the friends I barely have to move in with them. Not that I want to continue living at home anyway next to my Dad's perpetual foul mood that makes everything worse.

I already know it's probably going to be hard for me to keep my cool at the session tonight with my parents talking over me and making light of my crippling social phobia as if it's just some petty bs that I should just get over with medication and "trying hard". I just hope I don't get too frustrated and become defensive as I did at a session with Mom last month. Does anyone else feel like their being attacked by relatives in situations like these?

HexNoir

Yeah, but nobody can imagine pain when they try to put themselves in your shoes. It's like relatives that were in 'Nam who have flashbacks and shit. There's no way you could possibly imagine their pain and inability to erase thoughts of violence from their mind, and whatnot.

If somebody's never had SA, they're going to say stupid shit to you. End of story. It's kind of expected... that's why I'd rather go it alone. But consider this - maybe the whole reason for the outsider's "just shrug it off" point of view is because if they ever had an attack of SA or something similar, they would probably just be able to shrug it off the next day. Whereas people like you and I tend to think more about our faults and how much we fuck up. And I don't know about you, but this can last up to weeks on end.

Not to get philosophical, but the truth of the matter is that everybody does actually fuck up. It's just how you deal with it. It's just that elevated level of anxiety, you know? Somehow I understand a lot about this so-called condition... yet I can't get my mind to make the jump just quite yet. I still think there's hope for all of us though. Good luck to you :)

Infected_Malignity

shoop said:
Vulvectomy said:
Yeah, but nobody can imagine pain when they try to put themselves in your shoes. It's like relatives that were in 'Nam who have flashbacks and shit. There's no way you could possibly imagine their pain and inability to erase thoughts of violence from their mind, and whatnot.

If somebody's never had SA, they're going to say stupid shit to you. End of story. It's kind of expected... that's why I'd rather go it alone. But consider this - maybe the whole reason for the outsider's "just shrug it off" point of view is because if they ever had an attack of SA or something similar, they would probably just be able to shrug it off the next day. Whereas people like you and I tend to think more about our faults and how much we fuck up. And I don't know about you, but this can last up to weeks on end.

Not to get philosophical, but the truth of the matter is that everybody does actually fuck up. It's just how you deal with it. It's just that elevated level of anxiety, you know? Somehow I understand a lot about this so-called condition... yet I can't get my mind to make the jump just quite yet. I still think there's hope for all of us though. Good luck to you :)

you guys make me lose faith in humanity. eugenics now!

The only reason somebody would go around posting things like this is because of their own insecurity. Otherwise, you'd have no reason to declare it... being truth and all, right? lol.