Me, myself and panic attacks.....

Cal

Well... You've already done half the work in which you've recognised that it's a major problem and are looking at realistic steps to overcome it.

But I'd just try to remember that a panic attack itself cannot cause you any physical harm, and that it IS all in your head. I'm sure once you accept this, the fear will decrease dramatically.

But you know... I don't see why panic attacks wouldn't be so hard to control, I haven't done much research, but I'm sure there are plenty of ways and methods to prevent them. Keep up the good work. :)

Mikefly

You sound brave, my only tip is your gonna have to go through whatever causes your panic attacks about 50-100 times or more and just learn how to control them and/or overcome them if possible...

Cal

I had a breakdown which (I think) involved panic attacks during my last year of high school, I would get stressed out and my skin would start to get a major burning/itching sensation, almost like being burnt with fairly hot water and being bitten by ants at the same time. It's probably been my worst physical symptom to date, but I can't be sure if it was indeed panic attacks causing this. I had dealt with the loss of a few people in my life, but again, I'm not too sure if it's related.

izzymarie

Panic attacks are a bitch. I get them from time to time, and it's always when I least expect it. I totally get what you mean about how you feel like you have no control when it happens.. it's such a scary feeling. It's great that your trying to find a way to overcome them though. Once you do let me know, cause I could definitely use some pointers. :)

dreamdoll

i ve learned to cherish my panic attacks.I embrace it,feel it,and dance with it.
facing the drangons within is the nearest exit to serenity.

R

Rocket

I’m with ya. I had my first major panic attack in July (it lasted three days in waves) I finally had my wife call the ambulance when I thought I was having a heart attack. In reflection though I had several events prior to that but thought they were related to heart because of fluttering and tightness (and of course my doctor couldn’t figure it out because EKG’s and so on were good). I have been taking Ativan then Xanax and tried a couple SSRI’s but my body didn’t like that too much. I thought the effects of the tranquilizer were un-bearable so after weaning off I have been benzo free for 2.5 weeks now. Of course now that they have worn off I have to deal with the anxiety and build up to panic.

I am having some success, although I panicked in the store the other day I was able to breath through it. If I keep moving when I get anxious it helps a bit, what has worked the best though was going on a long bike ride yesterday. I was scared to death at first but I would stop and walk it off then get back on the bike and afterwards I felt better than I have felt in months, calm, relaxed and happy and it was well worth it. This morning was a little rough but I have been trying to tell myself that the sensations I’m feeling (although scary, and painful) aren’t really hurting me and are just sensations and sensations won’t kill you, and the thought of facing the fear is giving me some confidence and subsequently calming me down.

After doing (a lot) of reading on the subject it seems that those of us that are suffering from this have our anxiety thermostat stuck on high so that fight or flight reaction is just a trigger away. So we must turn that thermostat down and retrain our minds to be calm. It sure is tough though.

Hang in there and good luck.