MASSIVE EVENT PLANNED!

scatmantom

have worked really hard on my anxiety and now enjoy a cool social life. I have been invited to a night out in a town a long way from my house tho. The problem is last time i went i had a panic attack and left early and had to pay stupid money for the cab home! Its really unfair cos i would love to go but i cant afford to leave early again.

I dunno wot to do, altho i have improved alot over the year since my last major night out panic attack, i dont think im ready to try again. But saying that its probably my anxiety that is making me think this and i may never feel ready.

Im not sure whether to go for it or not. Any advice would be cool

the night planned is this friday so still time to decide

SilentOutlaw

I think that the only way to stop having those panic attacks might be to attend more of these types of things so each time you will be more comfortable. If you go, yes you might have another panic attack, but if you don't go you never know what fun you might be missing out on. Also, if you don't go, you might be kicking yourself later thinking about how you missed the opportunity. The only way to overcome stuff like this is to take the risks. This is just my opinion and you should do whatever you feel is right. Good luck to you if you do plan on going.

Chilling__Echo

hey scatmantom, i say go for it! you have the drive and the will and dammit, have a good time 8)

let us know what you decide

cLavain

Well, if you have a good social life then missing out on this event will not be such a big deal. On the other hand, if you go and it turns out fine then you will condition your brain to think slightly more positively about it next time as it will be a good memory!

koyaanisqatsi

Maybe you are not _quite_ ready for this type of exposure. It's not possible for me to tell. It sounds like you've made a lot of progress, but may have a short way to go before you can handle this situation. Is there any way that you can slowly work from where you are now up to a full night on the town? I used to be able to do these things by getting as drunk as possible, but I no longer drink at all. I do know how you feel. I, too, would love to go out to enjoy social events or enage in things that I should for my friends such as going to a funeral for a friend's close relative. I feel socially clumsy and awkward, so I don't do these things.

I'd be thrilled if I could even leave my house to take a walk in the woods w/o a lot of anxiety. I am afraid of what?

scatmantom said:
have worked really hard on my anxiety and now enjoy a cool social life. I have been invited to a night out in a town a long way from my house tho. The problem is last time i went i had a panic attack and left early and had to pay stupid money for the cab home! Its really unfair cos i would love to go but i cant afford to leave early again.

I dunno wot to do, altho i have improved alot over the year since my last major night out panic attack, i dont think im ready to try again. But saying that its probably my anxiety that is making me think this and i may never feel ready.

Im not sure whether to go for it or not. Any advice would be cool

the night planned is this friday so still time to decide

4myself

yetisbabe said:
I think if you can try and get the taxi fare home...just in case, then you should go. Chances are that you will not need to use it because you will already feel better knowing that you have a way out.

I hope that you go. I bet you will have a great time. :D

Yetisbabe is right yet again :) . If you can rustle up the cab fare then, you will have an escape so you may not feel so bad.

B

scat, I think you know better than any of us if you should go. If you decide to go, that's great. If you don't feel you're ready, there's nothing wrong with that. If you decide NOT to go, don't beat yourself up over it. You know you've already improved. If you're not ready now, you'll prolly be ready some day in the not-so-distant future. Either way, good luck to ya. :)

scatmantom said:
The problem is last time i went i had a panic attack and left early and had to pay stupid money for the cab home! Its really unfair cos i would love to go but i cant afford to leave early again.

I can't see how it is stupid money.

It was money well spent. On you.

Try looking at it as investments in You. You may have to spend some money on this journey, and sacrifice something else instead. In case you have the opportunity to do so, I would highly recommend it.

scatmantom

thanks for the loads of responses every1. Its great to have people to listen to my sobbing :)

Tomorrow is the night, my mates are heaping the pressure on me, they all "KNOW" i will be fine after i get there cos ive been out with them locally loads of times. I love to go clubbing but Im making excuses not to go...untill about half an hour ago i definatly wasnt going. Im starting to break down under all the begging people are doing to get me out.

Ill let you all know what happens, and thanks again