Martial arts helped me!!!

Johno

Yeah Hi All

I just want to share something that helped my social phobia. About 3 years ago I started Taekwondo with my brother. I was so so frightened and self consciounce the first time I turned up. I also had no idea about fighting. Gradually though, I started to pick up the basic moves and soon felt reasonably comfortable, but not completely. To my surprise I started enjoying it and eventually looked forward to kicking someone's but. Although it didn't cure my social phobia. I felt fitter, better and more confident in myself. Unfortunately I had to stop it because I lost my driver's licence for a while. However this is something that I intend to do again in the near future, because I know it helped. Also to my surprise, was the amount of women involved in martial arts. I was in the minority being male. So to you guys out there looking to meet girls I would suggest martial arts..
Goodluck

Orlando

Johno,

I found my friends the same way. I first had experiment with new activities and then see if I really liked them. When I started to loosen up and have fun, I felt more comfortable talking with other people.....we already had something in common. I tried Shotokan karate, choir, rollerblading, guitar, drawing, cartooning, ballroom dancing, running, weight-lifting and acting.. I was mediocre in all these endeavors (and still am or less than) however I learned something about myself with each thing that I tried something new.....I remember it was tough in the beginning....I was very self-conscious and I hated the fact that I was doing this stuff in front of people. I felt judged all the time. Yuck! :roll: I remembered sweating a lot and having multiple panic attacks.....however, I would do it again...

Hands are helping not for hurting

I'd like to learn a martial art for the exercise, the mental discipline, self defense and the self confidence. I'm going to try to get my wife to go with me to some classes. But once when I was about 15 I was taking classes and a lady who was older than me landed a roundhouse on my chin and I gave it up. So I know what it's like to get hit. Tai chi is non-contact, maybe this would be better hehe.

renegade

Yes, i'm doing martial arts for a month now, but i still can't make any bond to the people there. But i'll keep trying. :)

We have no girls there, but i wish we would...