Lyrica and Neurontin

Davevanza

Hi,

I've just come back from Indonesia, spending 3mths overthere.
Tramadol, in Jkt is an OTC med.
And there are about 25 generic of it.

I bought some of it, and using it 200mg SR twice a day.

( Strangely, Panadeine with Paracetamol 500mg + Codeine Phosphate 8mg is a controlled drug over there, but Tramadol is an OTC med. Quite the opposite to what there is in Australia.)

I've been seeing my Psychiatrist and Neurologist in Sydney for years.
With diagnose : Anxiety, Nervous Tension Headache resulting pain behind my eyes

I've been taking Tramadol 200SR twice daily, Clonazepam 2mg/day, and just recently my Neurologist prescribed Lyrica 75mg twice/day.

My question is :

1. What is the difference between Lyrica and Neurontin?
2. Which one, according to those who have used both meds, is better ?
3. Now with 75mg twice/day, I really don't find any effect from Lyrica. I read from internet, that when used in higher dose, Lyrica will cause drunkeness like having a beer or two. Does Neurontin in higher dose do the same thing?
( I know both meds will cause somnolence, ataxia, etc)
4. I have another appointment with my Neurologist on 20Apr 2012, quite a long wait, so I went to the nearest GP, and asked for Neurontin 300mg. Will Neurontin have the same effect as Lyrica? ( I also read that Neurontin has a greater tolerance, meaning that, it has to be taken in escalating dose to get same effect, and its bioavailability is low compared to Lyrica). I also read from those using Lyrica, they say that it works better. But in contrast, I also read those using Neurontin say that it works better for them.
So my question is, for those who have used the 2 meds, can you please give advice so i can decide whether I should stick to Lyrica, or change to Neurontin ?

Thanks

Dave

mikebird

Banned
I'm glad someone else has Lyrica. It's very new to me, and I know it as Pregablin, and I have a daily dosage of just 50mg.

It's early in the morning to me, making me quite sleepy/nervous and I'm thinking maybe at the end of the day might serve me better, when I have phenytoin - 400mg is a lot. Keppra is 1g both morning and night, which I think puts me on the warpath of anger, fury and outrage.

I've had Temazepam and Topiramate. All these are all in the same family - CNS - control of epilepsy, with exactly the same, horrific side effects.

I don't like the idea of daily, lifelong pills. That's ridiculous. I liked life when any pill, or beer, was when I felt like it... maybe sometime in a week.

Last edited: