lunchtime

CeCe

ok i realli dont kno what to do with my lunch situation at school ne more....i mean i have no friends and i never know where to sit...i hate going to lunch and sitting at a random table and not talking to ne one...it's the most awkward thing ever....i actually try not to sit at an empty table but one full of ppl because i can easily "pretend" i know them.....i just think people think im weird because i sit at the same table everyday....and i just sit there pretending to be fiddling with my backpack or something else....i cant take this situation ne more...ne one kno what to do?

shy_miss_fly

Maybe go home for lunch?? or if your house is too far away, how bout doing your homework in the library? That way you wont feel awkward and it will go by faster because you'll be working on your homework. Hope I helped. :)

redlady

I changed schools a few times and i would always end up sitting by myself - i would just sit there and eat my lunch and bring something to read so that i had something to focus on. I don't mind being by myself though. If you have something to occupy yourself with, so you aren't looking around at everyone else it will make the lunch hour go quicker.
You know until you make some friends.

2QuietForThem

You’re beating yourself up in the lunchroom. My advice is to go to the library. Missing a full meal at lunch won’t kill you. Sneak a snack before the library – I’m sure they won’t let you eat in there. I did the library thing for two years – never stepping into the dreaded lunchroom where “they” were all waiting to laugh at me about something. Also, you’ll be surprised by the fact that you’re not the only one in there avoiding lunch. Hey, even if you are the only one, I guarantee that other non-sociable people will follow soon-after. For me, the library was a life-saver.

Horatio

for me I quickly realised that lunchtime and interval were danger times and instead of being slammed against walls or held down and kicked I started to think of ways I could gain something from that time

I would always either go to the library and do my homework then so I had more free time when I got home or I would work in the school canteen (getting paid for it) where if anyone tried to hurt me or tease me the canteen lady would come down on them like a tonne of bricks.

Lightcloud

I would also recommend going to the library or receding somewhere to get away from the situation - at least at the moment. However, perhaps you could start some smalltalk chit-chat with those you normally sit with at lunch during the other parts of the day, even if you feel left out and like you don't belong. That way, it wouldn't feel so awkward sitting with the kids because you'd have some common ground. You have to put yourself out there at some point.

Tseng

I Never had that problem back in school as I still had a few friends from before the SA set in (although there were only 2). However it did happen when I went to college, I would eat my lunch outside as I couldn't go in the canteen. Then I would sit outside on my own and kept feeling like everyone was staring at me. It made me feel so bad that I dropped out after 2 days. Of course that does'nt really help you much but the library idea seems like it might work.

GIOLANDA

I understand!

I understand you absolutely. This was one of my greatest SA problems. I'll tell you what I did-I just found a place when I could turn my back to everyone and ate peacefully. I didn't care any more of what the others would think. I know it's selfish,but I should find a way in order to relax! Some day that I couldn't find a quiet place,I did a really crazy thing-eating in bathroom! I think that you should take a decision-Learn to live with it finding alternative ways,or try to overcome it,by talking to others during lunch time. Good luck,I know it's too bothering!

LemonKiss

I used to hate lunch too. It was a horrible part of my day, a giant monster that I couldn't get away from. I did what you did and sat at a full table to be inconspicuous. The one day it hit me: The loud and busy cafeteria crowd was not a monster. It was just a bunch of other people just like me. It helped to break it down like that. ( ;

renegade

Hi CeCe, I know the feeling of sitting alone and not being able to connect with anyone. I got that alot in high school during brakes witch often spreaded across half an hour cause most of the teachers didn't bother to come to class on time, it was nightmare, and not the anxiety was the reason I hated those moments so much, it was the fact that I was uncapable to connect with somebody as all the others were ALL outgoing. :?

We don't have lunch time hour here, but I know how you feel. Good thing now that in college teachers stick to the program so the brakes last only 10 to 15 min and there are a few shy guys who I can somehow relate too. :roll:

My advice is to look for shy people and try to make a bond with them, ussually try to chat a little or say hi to them, preferablly when u find them alone, cause I know that the aproaching and begining in a conversation with someone in a group can be almost impossible.

And like the others said, find something 2 keep u busy during the lunch hour cause thinking about the whole situation isn't doing u any good and can lead to depression.

It's a good thing that u are aware of your condition and you're not the only one, as you noticed, there are many other people like you in this world. Posting your problems here and looking for advice is a big step forward for you.

But the thing that would really help you overcome this is treating the cause, seek professional help, go to a psychiatrist and tell him how you feel, there are meds and CBT for SP, I wish I knew that when I needed it.

Good luck and I hope you get better :wink: