Lowered Mental capacity

NightTimeForever

I don't know how to word even this post, I was just sitting here trying to come up with the words. I feel drained of all intellectual ability (this might seem like a coincidence given my most recent thread, but it just got me thinking about a problem I have been having all along). I developed a stuttering problem several years ago, along with an inability to "focus." I really hated school to the point I think I lack a fundamental education. I scored a 95 on the Reading Comp (part of a placement test at the local community college), but screwed up the other portions (I did much better on the writing the second time around, I was in better shape, but I am just terrible at math, I can't focus).

Anyway, I have noticed that this has amplified my social anxiety. I am thinking about getting my IQ tested just to make sure there is nothing wrong with me in this area. So, does anyone here suffer from this and has this increased your SA to any extent?

NightTimeForever

Difficulty concentrating, remembering or making decisions can be symptoms of depression, which frequently accompanies SA.

This is a possibility, I can't deny that, but...I feel so mentally sluggish and my unreliable memory is a big obstacle for me. Can Depression really effect someone's mental abilities to a LARGE extent? I can't honestly deny that I am depressed, I just don't know to what percent I can use that as an excuse for my "slower thinking."

Last edited:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
This is a possibility, I can't deny that, but...I feel so mentally sluggish and my unreliable memory is a big obstacle for me. Can Depression really effect someone's mental abilities to a LARGE extent? I can't honestly deny that I am depressed, I just don't know to what percent I can use that as an excuse for my "slower thinking."

Only a professional could diagnose you of course, but I think it sounds likely in your case.