Love

Rembrandt Broam

Hmm.

I do believe in love. I think different people's interpretation of love depends on their own outlook on life. Some people are very emotionally driven, and for them the whole fairytale idea of falling head over heels in love with someone is very real. Other people are more analytical, and take a less emotional and more pragmatic approach to love. Neither way is right or wrong - they're just different. Both types of people are equally capable of loving and being loved.

I don't believe in the idea of there just being one person out there for each of us. If that were the case, given the human population of this planet, the chances of us meeting that person would effectively be zero, and most of us would spend our lives alone. The evidence of our own eyes shows us that this is not the case. There are a lot of people out there that we have the potential to love and fall in love with.

Love takes work. Hollywood and the media perpetuate the idea of The One who is meant for us, and tell us that when we meet this person love will come easily, and everything will run smoothly in our lives together from then on. I think the danger is that when people accept that idea, they come to believe that if everything doesn't always run smoothly (and of course it won't) then this person must not be The One, and therefore they should ditch the relationship and continue their search. But people are very complex beings, and when two of them come together there will be clashes, and there will be differences, no matter how well suited they are to one another. The only way to avoid that would be to clone an opposite gender (or same gender, if you are gay) version of yourself. And that would just be creepy. :) Love is about compromising, and about sometimes putting the happiness of the one you love above your own happiness.

In fact, I think that last bit sums up love as well as such a complex emotion can ever be summed up - putting the happiness of another before your own. Sometimes it may not be possible for us to be with the person we love but if we can be happy at their happiness, even if that happiness is found with someone else, then I think we can truly say that we love them.