"Levels" of SA

cocorose

I realize there can be people with different levels of social anxiety/phobia.. for example someone can be nervous about getting up in front of people, and I know there are some actors with this problem but they are talented, and once they get up there they are fine.. I think Robert De Niro is known for having this problem, I remember seeing him on the Rosie O'Donnell show and he really didn't say much, he seemed very shy and she even said something and I felt really bad watching it.. but for me getting up in front of people is one of my worst nightmares. I had to do this once in class and I wanted to die, and even after I got up there I knew I just made a complete fool of myself, my voice cracked & was shaky, I was unsure of myself and what I was saying and I knew I sounded like a complete idiot. I knew everyone was looking at me like I was a complete idiot. I just wanted to sink into the floor. It was one of the worst experiences, I was completely embarrassed. I wanted to just run out of the room but I had to do it so I had to force myself. I was listening to the other people and even if they were nervous it was just being nervous but they were still sure of themselves & what they were saying. It's like when I speak I have no idea what I'm saying and make no sense whatsoever. What can I do to work on this? To me it's not just being nervous on the outside. It's in every fiber of my being.

Matt88360

I'd say there are different manifestations of it, yes. I'm actually quite good at public speaking, but find one-on-one personal interaction excruciating. The public speaking is fine because it's more formal and distant, so there's something of a barrier between me and everyone watching. At least that's how I see it.

dmsteyn

I'd say there are different manifestations of it, yes. I'm actually quite good at public speaking, but find one-on-one personal interaction excruciating. The public speaking is fine because it's more formal and distant, so there's something of a barrier between me and everyone watching. At least that's how I see it.

This pretty much mirrors my own situation. I do feel anxious before giving a lecture, or whatever, but during the presentation, most of that falls away.

cocorose

i reached Level 30 after that incident with the dragon

lol.. it took me a minute.. but with this I think level 30 would be pretty bad.. unless it means the higher you are the more you defeated it. Depends on how you look at it