Latest hyperhidrosis treatments

marcoter

I would like to share with you 2 of the latest treatments being investigated/used for hyperhidrosis. Both are currently only used for underarm sweating, but I think they could be potentially used on other areas as well.

The first is the use of the Ulthera ultrasound machine for hyperhidrosis. The first news about this came back in 2012, about the company conducting trials for underarm sweating. They also mentioned they would try it for the hands. I just found out that a few months ago this year, they have finally published a paper about it in "The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology". The paper is called "Safety and Efficacy of Micro-focused Ultrasound Plus Visualization for the Treatment of Axillary Hyperhidrosis". But still no news about using it for the palms or other areas. The treatment is reported to be effective on a majority of patients and can be done without an anaesthetic.

The second is the use of radiofrequency microneedling for axillary hyperhidrosis as well. It uses RF technology, like the SweatX treatment I discussed in a different thread (that doesn't seem to work by the way), but uses a micro-needle to penetrate the skin without pain and deliver the RF energy at the tip of the needle in order to damage the sweat glands. It is currently being used in Germany and some other countries.

Conor

Thanks for the info.
Why are all these new treatments just for the underarms and nothing for us cs sufferers!

johnk

Thank you for the information.
I agree with Conor.Pesonally i sweat at back and chest but all the procudures aim to sto axilliary,palmar or plantar hh.Unfortunately there are many people like me and other that suffer from compensatory sweating and nobody seems to care for that

Jezza

Thank you for the information.
I agree with Conor.Pesonally i sweat at back and chest but all the procudures aim to sto axilliary,palmar or plantar hh.Unfortunately there are many people like me and other that suffer from compensatory sweating and nobody seems to care for that

I reckon it's because the armpit area is a relatively simple area to kind of 'mess with' while back/groin etc are more delicate. There's not much going on directly below the armpits but when it's the back there are tons of very improtant nerves running right through the spine not far from the surface...If you're going to mess with radiation of some sort (which a lot of these treatments are) in that area I think the fear is you might irrepairably screw up more than just the sweat glands. Same thing for the groin area...:eek:

As someone with generalised HH (I have almost the entire package :sad:, hands, feet, pits, groin, back...only my head is mercifully unaffected for the most part although it still sweats more than the average human head but not like the rest of my skin) I feel your frustration though.

marcoter

I reckon it's because the armpit area is a relatively simple area to kind of 'mess with' while back/groin etc are more delicate. There's not much going on directly below the armpits but when it's the back there are tons of very improtant nerves running right through the spine not far from the surface...If you're going to mess with radiation of some sort (which a lot of these treatments are) in that area I think the fear is you might irrepairably screw up more than just the sweat glands. Same thing for the groin area...:eek:

As someone with generalised HH (I have almost the entire package :sad:, hands, feet, pits, groin, back...only my head is mercifully unaffected for the most part although it still sweats more than the average human head but not like the rest of my skin) I feel your frustration though.
Yes, you are right that it's a simpler area to treat.

But I do think that these procedures could be potentially used on more areas as the machines that are used for them are already approved for skin tightening on the face for Ulthera, and acne treatment and many other indications for the micro-needling machines. So they should be quite safe.