Late Night Strolls : Stress Relief?

dazedandconfused

Lately, I've been undergoing quite a bit of crap. The group of friends I have been hanging out with all year is dissolving, my father is yelling at me quite a bit, and I'm about to start a job on Friday.

To cope with this stress, on the weekends (Friday and Saturday night), I've been going out at about 1:30 am and just walking after I get done hanging out with my friends (11:30 or so). This has really been extremely beneficial for me, because I think the night is so beautiful. I love the cool air, and the heavy silence. It really lets me examine myself in a way I could not acheive in the daytime.

I usually set out at about 1:30, and come back from any time between 3:30 and 4. This last Friday, I visited my old house, which I moved out from last summer. This brought back many great memories, which lightened my mood a great deal.

For any of you overly-depressed, maybe you should try this, given that you live in a safe neighborhood of course. It seems to be extremely therapeutic.

savage_beagle

sounds like meditation to me! good for you!

Well, thats good for you to be benefitting from your walk/stroll. Do you realize, what you are really doing, is a form of meditation? Think about it, you left behind a noisy, crowded, city lights and past conversations. You then go for a nice walk in the cool night air..and its pretty quiet. You are working up your heartbeat, inhaling deeply and exhaling the same. All you might be thinking of is the night stars, the fresh air and how good it feels. Basically, you just cleared your mind of all the mental clutter. Set aside time everyday/night for 5-20 minutes and do the same any place you are at. You could be on your lunch break at school/work...in your livingroom, somewhere quiet and calm...close your eyes..breathe deep and think of calming words.I just came back from a long 4 hour brisk walk along the beach and neighbouring streets, full of views of ocean, mountain and happy people enjoying the sun. Walked with a good friend, but often i do it alone with just my little mp3 player full of calming, relaxing music. I always feel great after...so its good that you are doing the same...congrats!

triceratops

I would go night walking but in manchester we have these things called scallys and if you walk along at night they have a habit of jumping on your head and taking your money. 8O

I wish I can walk around in Nottingham but like scyth I'm afraid of being attacked or mugged. Maybe I should learn to drive so I can cruise around in the countryside or something to relax :D

Si_mon

It's not really safe to walk around most areas in britain now a days, especially in the Birmingham/ West Midlands area.

probably more so than Manchester or Notts.

driving in the countryside sounds like a good idea though.... or you could cruise around the streets and scare the chavs for a change and clear your head at the same time!

I have a few times and I find late night walks to be very relaxing. It's especially nice if you have some nice music to bring along with you too.