Lamp Posts

Horatio

Does anyone else here hate lamp posts? I walk down the same streets nearly every day with my eyes always straying habitually down to the ground, my long hair draped down like a veil over my face of shame. Until the last few months it was as if I didn’t even know there were lamp posts.

My eyes daren’t look up scarce I offend a superior member of society, scarce I invite a beating, verbal or physical.

I can’t look guys in the eyes for fear they might read the weakness embedded in my soul, knowing if they saw the victim I am then they will treat me as such. I prefer to be treated as a nobody so I look down and try to melt away.

I can’t look girls in the eyes because I hate the reflection of myself that I see in them, someone not worthy of their love, not worthy of their time, not worthy to be in their presence, I know where I stand in their eyes and do not wish to be told yet again, so I lower my eyes.

My eyes lower even further, in fear that the girl might think my downward creeping eyes might be looking at her breasts, to avoid any confusion I look straight down at my feet as they stride onwards down the street, never looking up at the lamp posts.

I try not to think of the lamp posts when I walk down the street, trying not to let curiosity force me to look up at them, it is much safer to look down instead.

I let my hair grow right over my eyes, down past my nose, down over my mouth, all useless anyway when I’m too scared to smell sweet fragrances, too scared to talk to anyone and too scared to look at lamp posts. My fringe is now down to my chest but if I hang my head low enough the fringe droops down to let me stare straight down, always concentrating on making sure I don’t lose my footing and make a fool of myself again.

Recently whenever I look up at lamp posts I see something quite disturbing, I see myself at the end of every one, swinging by a rope attached to my neck Naked as the day I was born with my hands tied behind my back I swing from every pole, on every street I ever fucking walk down, swaying gently in the wind.

I know its not real, how could it be possible that I’m hanging from every lamp post on the street at the same time? It is not possible yet every time I look up, there I am hanging there. I wish I could dismiss it, I wish it weren’t so, but it’s the honest truth even though I know it is absurd, whenever I look at a lamp post I see myself hanging dead below it. I know it is my mind, I know I’m going crazy yet every time I look up, there I am.

Does anyone else have this problem? Does anyone else hate lamp posts? I never had this problem until relatively recently as my condition has continued to get worse. Well I haven’t had the problem for years. When I was younger some kids at school beat me to the ground like usual, put a rope around my neck and told me they were going to hang me from a lamp post. Terrified, I believed them and thought that then and there it was my time to die, swinging beneath a lamp post. After a playful kick in the guts and a friendly punch in the face they let me go, but threatened to come after me when I least expected it, to hang me from a lamp post. They told me how they would strip me naked first so everyone could laugh at me, told me how they would hold me down and tie my hands behind me, then how they would hoist me up to the top of a lamp post by my neck. They told me everyone would just point and laugh and no one would help me. I was terrified for months as I waited for the moment when they would put their promise into action. I couldn’t look at lamp posts.

I had completely forgotten about the lamp post promise until very recently when I started to see my stiff corpse hanging from every fucking lamp post again. It has been driving me crazy for months, been giving me panic attacks every time I looked at one and I had no idea why. It wasn’t until this week when I remembered the incident at school, remembered those few months where I lived every day expecting to end the day strung from a lamp post. But even now that I can remember what happened it hasn’t gone away. I’m 23 and I can’t look at fucking lamp posts! The shame of writing this is making me cry, I wish I wasn’t this bad. I used to wish I could have a girl friend, some mates and a bit of confidence, but now I just wish I could look at fucking lamp posts. How fucking pathetic is that!

How the fuck do I make this all stop, it is getting too much for me

H

blubs

Bloody hell Horatio.
What kind of evil bastards would do that to someone. I can't believe you had to cope with something like that. :(
I find reading this quite tough...especially as I like chatting to you & think of you as a nice, funny, interesting bloke.
Do you think that this might be a kind of post traumatic stress disorder?
I'm sure being attacked like that could cause it.
Are you getting any kind of help at all? Because you really don't deserve to have these weird sub-human monster kids be ruining your life like this.

Horatio

harvey said:
I strongly encourage you to talk to a social worker or therapist or your doctor.

I've spent about $1500 on therapy in the last 3 months alone, it has helped me understand things better but it hasn't actually made any difference yet. I keep going though cause at least it feels like Im trying to do something about it, even if it means I have to go into more debt.

blubs said:
Do you think that this might be a kind of post traumatic stress disorder?

I have no doubt that those 8 years or so of hell at school are entirely responsible for my depression, social anxiety and now my difficulty with lamp posts.

The whole thing feels so rediculas, it is as if the bullying never stopped and continues to get worse and there is nothing I can do about it

Lost_Nomad

:( it sounds like my experience in school, i know how you feel. may i sujest you take some martal art class and/or lift weights. knowing you can diffend yourself should make a difference.

Solitair

Lost_Nomad said:
:( it sounds like my experience in school, i know how you feel. may i sujest you take some martal art class and/or lift weights. knowing you can diffend yourself should make a difference.

agreed

kiwi

Man, I can't believe that sort of bullying exists in NZ! That totally sucks. Do you remember the names of the kids who bullied you? Maybe it's time for some payback!

Have you told your therapist about this bullying and how it's affecting you now? At least you have something specific to work on, I'm sure they must be able to do something. Keep us posted with your progress.

Horatio

If I manage to get another contract next year I'm intending to bite the bullet and take up boxing in the hope that being physically stronger will help my anxiety, like most people here walking into a gym full of people is too stressful for me but hopefully I can get a personal trainer or something if i have the money

kiwi said:
Man, I can't believe that sort of bullying exists in NZ! That totally sucks. Do you remember the names of the kids who bullied you? Maybe it's time for some payback!

Have you told your therapist about this bullying and how it's affecting you now? At least you have something specific to work on, I'm sure they must be able to do something. Keep us posted with your progress.

my therapist is very much aware of the bullying and its current effects on me, he attributes 99% of the cause of my condition to what happened all those years at school and reckons it will take me about 5 years of therapy to get back to "normal" thats about $20 000 - $25 000 worth of treatment and with no gaurantee it will work :?

the more therapy I have the more I realise how damaged I was by what happened, it is such a hopeless feeling to have to re-live everything like this and not be able to do anything about it

people say that bully's are as much of a victim as the people they bully.... bull shit... I'd like to know if all those bullies have the same trouble SEVEN FUCKING YEARS AFTER SCHOOL FINISHED.... do they have trouble meeting girls, hell no, I gaurantee girls will be flocking to them just like they did at school, do they have trouble making mates? I doubt it! Do they have trouble looking at lamp posts? Is their first thought every morning one of suicide? Do they fork out thousands of dollars for therapy? I fucking doubt it

I feel as hopeless now as I did back when I was 15, only back then I was naive enough to think things would all be better once school finished

Horatio

lol at the censor of the word which means to kill ones self, makes it look like I typed something a lot worse!

black_mamba

Horatio said:
lol at the censor of the word which means to kill ones self, makes it look like I typed something a lot worse!

LoL! It's good to see you retained your sense of humour 8)

kiwi

Horatio said:
If I manage to get another contract next year I'm intending to bite the bullet and take up boxing in the hope that being physically stronger will help my anxiety, like most people here walking into a gym full of people is too stressful for me but hopefully I can get a personal trainer or something if i have the money

What sort of work do you do again?

Horatio said:
my therapist is very much aware of the bullying and its current effects on me, he attributes 99% of the cause of my condition to what happened all those years at school and reckons it will take me about 5 years of therapy to get back to "normal" thats about $20 000 - $25 000 worth of treatment and with no gaurantee it will work :?

Ouch, that's a lot of money. I guess you will be able to tell after a year or so whether it's helping or not though. Hopefully you will see enough progress to make it worth continuing.

Just out of interest, how many hours per week does that involve? And what sort of treatment is it?

Horatio

kiwi said:
What sort of work do you do again?

Just out of interest, how many hours per week does that involve? And what sort of treatment is it?

Television/Film industry

its just one hour a week and involves me sitting on a couch feeling awkward and answering the therapist's questions. I think at the moment he is trying to help me to see what my triggers are, see what is causing me to start shaking or have panic attacks etc and to see why I find some things difficult.

I presume once I can recognise those things more clearly we will move onto the how to make it go the fuck away part :D

suicide

hehe sorry Mr Censor man I had to say it again