Kinda strange quetion...

Aerandir

I was reading something about some symptoms still not proved to be related to SA and I was wondering if someone ever had this kind of symptoms. So here's the story:
Something like 3 years ago, I was 18, I was with some new friends and they were playing poker and I was sitting in a chair feeling damn bad (I was anxious, but at this time I couldn't put a name on it, i didn't even know that SA existed.) And I was trying to relax myself with some strange meditation technique (don't ask me what) and I kinda fell asleep but I could hear everything the others were saying but i couldn't move, even if i tried to... So I began to panic et my breathe and my heartbeat accelerated, one of the guys was a coworker and the week before i had lost conciousness at the job, anyway, when he saw that I was sleeping and that I was breathing this fast, he took my heartbeat rate and said that something must be wrong and one of the others took the phone and called an ambulance, right after that, I had a respiratory stop, but I've never lost conciousness this time, I started to breathe again like 45 seconds after that and it took me like 2 hours to be able to move again, correctly I mean... anyway, the ambulance never came, (seems he never called it) and I never told anyone else and told them not to tell that to anybody...
If anyone ever had something similar... well, tell me.. :)

redlady

Mark it sounds like you experienced a state of sleep paralysis. I read a bit about it to try and gain a better understanding of what you went through, here's a site for you to read - just read it and compare what you went through with the information and see if it fits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/sleep_paralysis

It seems that your body shut down like that to protect you - because of the extremely anxious state you were in - i don't know, but it makes sense.

Fom reading that it seems i have experienced sleep paralysis - i was in bed though just on the verge of unconscious sleep when it hit me - it's frightening to have the control of your body taken from you.

redlady

It's normal in sleep but it is a disorder if you are awake when it happens - i think it is fascinating - scary but fascinating.

JJenny

I used to have it regularly and it scared the beegeezus out of me. Sometimes I'd sit up and my body was still lying down, or I'd put my hand on stuff and it just went through it, and everything was loud and clear around me. A sort of out of body experience I suppose. It terrified me though and on a couple of occasions I thought I had died. If it happens now I seem to be able to get my body to make some movement and I 'snap' out of the paralysis. It sure is weird, but hey I'm a bit of a weird chick so ......... that's life lol.

Chechirom

There is a condition were you can become paralyzed while still concious. It is called cataplexy. If anyone watches Niptuck it happened on this Tuesday's episode. The lady attacked by the carver was put under anesthetic, but she was still concious when they started operating on her. Anyway I don't know if you have it since it is rare and you ussually don't have control over it (you seem to describe yourself putting yourself into that state), so you might want to read up on it because there might be different forms.

You also become paralyzed in the REM stage of sleep (the stage where you have all your dreams) There is stage 1-4 and after you go into stage 4(the deepest stage, hard to wake up) you then go into REM(the stage closest to conciousness). This is why it is really easy to dream about things that are really happenning, ie a phone ringing/alarm going off or you can even become concious while your body is still paralyzed.

Hope my post was helpful/informative. If you find what i wrote interesting, take Psychology 101 if you get a chance, you learn about it all in there. PEACE Everyone.
Ben