Kill that anxiety

Hi there,
I'm a new member, just a baby in the forum but advanced in years, don't want to disclose my age though::eek:: .
I used to suffer a lot from social anxiety and terrible panic attacks. Not anymore. I nearly killed it-although I have to admit that did not get rid of the problem altogether...yet.
It's still there in my mind, but not ruling my life anymore... and I know I will kill it!

In fact -due to my own experiences and profession (mental health practitioner/nurse)-I have been able to help others with this debilitating condition, and that really gives me a buzz.

I just found this site, and decided immediately to join and I hope to be able to share views and experiences with many others in the future.

All the best, and let's kill that anxiety

Harleyq

..you have a profession in mental health, AND you've successfully beaten most of your SA? We could definitely use you, especially since there's so much negativity within the members here, and a lot of questions about cbt/meds

welcome to spw!

Thanks Harleyq,
yes, I have both. First came anxiety though. And in fact that was a major reason for me to get motivated to study further...and even finally to find my career in mental health.
Before that so many things happened...my brother's suicide was the worst.
When I started the studies my (other) brother told me I can't do it. There were so many obstacles: public speaking, mingling with others etc. But I did it. It was not easy, but I did it. My worst panic attack lasted 3 days and nights with no break. That was constant torment. Yet I passed - a bit slower than my collagues- but I got my qualifications. Moved over to another cuntry, had a job as a mental health practitioner, bought a house, started dancing, had a family...all the things I had thought I could never do.

I am more than happy to be used and to share my experience and what I know about any issues around SA, panic attacks, low mood...

I know there is much negativity there. But you can't kill that anxiety with negativity. You just feed it. Negative thoughts are like fuel to a fire. I will keep writing my experiences and hope to share a lot of views with others,

warmly,

Harleyq

When I started the studies my (other) brother told me I can't do it. There were so many obstacles: public speaking, mingling with others etc. But I did it. It was not easy, but I did it.

I can imagine. I'm taking psychology as my minor right now, and I'm just realizing how high-stress mental health jobs are. My ethics professor talks a lot about the pressures mental health practitioners face regarding clients, emergencies, multiple relationships and family/friends that try to call on you for help.

I can imagine. I'm taking psychology as my minor right now, and I'm just realizing how high-stress mental health jobs are. My ethics professor talks a lot about the pressures mental health practitioners face regarding clients, emergencies, multiple relationships and family/friends that try to call on you for help.
Yep. I have worked in acute psychiatric units, rehabilitation units, psychiatric forensic units and now last five years in a Crisis team. Dealing with people in this kind of envinroments and with so severe problems is stressful, but it has also taught me so much.

Good luck to you Harleyq with your studies!

Any good tips for anxiety control

Badbuz do you want tips for anxiety control when you are in the middle of an anxiety attack? Or do you want tips on how - not to control the anxiety attack- but how to prevent anxiety from forming in you?

There are tips available for both, I think it is far better to learn to prevent the whole thing if you can -and when you can't then to have a plan B.

Badbuz

Both tips wud be great.i find my anxiety kicks in whether i know the people im around or wit people i dnt know.alot of the times its stronger wen i know the people im talkin to so that makes me try not get into a position wer i wil be round them,but that makes things bad then cus ya cn nva be round people u know.

Both tips wud be great.i find my anxiety kicks in whether i know the people im around or wit people i dnt know.alot of the times its stronger wen i know the people im talkin to so that makes me try not get into a position wer i wil be round them,but that makes things bad then cus ya cn nva be round people u know.

Do you get panicky, do you have to escape the whole situation when that happens, have you suffered this for a long time? What kind of physical symptoms do you have? What are the worst of them? Are you frightened/terrified about getting them...do you even suffer from agoraphobia?
The physical symptoms of social phobia vary from one person to the next. How does your body respond as you approach a feared situation? Do your hands shake? Does your heart beat rapidly? Do you experience abdominal distress? Do you perspire or blush, or does your mouth become dry?

How much do you know about causes of your anxiety etc?

Did you know that you can actually 'reset' the way your mind tells your body to react? I may tell a bit more about this later...I have written some articles about the subject as well and may put some of them here, or add a link to an online article.

You may be able to reduce the intensity of your symptoms by practicing slow breathing from the diaphragm. Also helpful is regular physical exercise and muscle relaxation. Often, controversally, in the middle of a severe anxiety attack it is good, for a moment to tense all your muscles for a moment with inhale, count to ten, and then relax all the muscles with a long exhale.

Some experts say that social phobia is, in essence, a fear of disapproval. For example, while at a social gathering, a social phobic might say to himself, ‘I look foolish. People must notice that I just don’t fit in. I’m sure everyone is making fun of me.’ A social phobic named Karen had such feelings. In time, however, she questioned her beliefs. She came to realize that people had better things to do with their time than to analyze and judge her. She realised that even if she did say something boring it does not mean that otheres have a valid reason to jugde her personality. You may also need to challenge distorted thinking as to the likelihood—and the severity—of others’ disapproval in social situations. Is there really valid reason to believe that people would become upset with you if your worst fears came true? Even if some did, is there cause to conclude that you would not survive the ordeal? Does the opinion of another person actually change your value as a person?

There are millions of ways to 1. prevent anciety from forming, 2. to control it when it attacks. I think the best is n;o 3. To actually get rid of it altogether, to kill it. This is my chosen username for this forum and I chose it because i believe it can be done.

I will try and write tips regularly here, but of course it is helpful to to know a bit more of your personal anxiety...