Kava Kava for Blushing

grimaldi

Hi all,

I just ordered some Kava Kava to try to improve my problems which is: excessive sweating, anxiety sweating, blushing, palpitation/trembling voice/shaky hands when put under pressure or holding presentation etc.

I have tried many remedies before (see earlier post) including prescription drugs, natural drugs, herbs, acupuncture, yoga/meditation and therapy. All have helped to various extents, but none have solved the problem throughly.

After some readings on natural herbs, I have decided to try Kava Kava this time. It is said to be helpful for anxiety and nervousness, also improving sleep which is very irregular for a restless soul like mine. It has gone through several scientific studies with good results.

People with multiple problems like myself, are more likely to suffer from an overactive Sympathetic Nervous System than people with "one" problem like blushing or sweaty hands only. This because Sympathetic Nervous System has a role in all the symptoms listed in the first paragraph, and me myself have been diagnosed with overactive Sympathetic Nervous System at a hospital after days of different tests and brain scans.

You can make your own Google to find the basic facts on Kava Kava, or ask me if you want to know any specific thing I found out from my readings.

But please add your own experiences/knowledge about this remedy, as to get a discussion going with it. What is bad, good etc.

I ordered those Eclectic Institute, Kava Kava, Whole Lateral Root, 100 Veggie Caps - iHerb.com which is 460 mg per capsule with 10-15 % kavalactones. That means 50-60 mg kavalactones per capsule, so according to dosage I will take 2-3 capsules per day, starting from next week.

lithium

I've tried it before, and I went to school and I actually felt significantly less anxious. I don't know if it was a placebo effect, because I only had one dose. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any more at the local supermarket; It's worth a try though.

grimaldi

Buy it online then! iHerb is what i use - click on the link in my firt post and you'll be directed to there.

Pilt

I've been thinking of trying this, but I have heard it's been labeled as a drug in some countries...? (I live in Norway) Anyone know the deal? I read a story about some tourists trying it on their trip to Hawaii or Australia, I forget where they went. The guy who wrote the blog described the effect they experienced after each cup of kava kava they drank, and I think after about 8 cups he had enough. He said he experienced an overwhelming feeling of carelessness and euphoria, and after the last cup his body felt almost numb. It took a couple days until the effect wore off completely. Mind you, they took a seriously high dosage heh.

Johno

Hi ,,,
I would like to add my little bit to this ...Kava Kava the actual plant is illegal in many countries including mine (Australia). What most chemist's try to sell you is the so called substitute version. It does nothing. The real stuff works that's why they banned it...... Go visit fiji and experience it........ I bet what you are taking is some cheap substitute....
Go on a cruise and experience the real thing and yes it may help with anxiety and many other things.....

stoneFree

I've used Kava plenty of times. The stuff works great.

I live in the United States where it is still legal. So, contrary to what Johno has experienced, the stuff I get is the real deal and it works like a charm. However, it seems like you got some pretty weak stuff; 10%-15% kavalactones is a pretty low concentration. I would recommend getting something that has 84% kavalactones. I don't know where you live and if there is a limit on the concentration, but if you're in the U.S. this is the way to go.

This is what I normally use: Kavalactone 84% Paste

It looks nasty, I know. It's a green paste that makes your mouth go numb when you eat it. I usually pinch off two pea-sized amounts, roll them into balls, and swallow them like pills so I don't taste it. I've tried every possible way of ingesting the stuff, and this is best in my opinion.

You won't be disappointed with that amount at that concentration. It gives you very noticeable effects.

A

Ariz

Hey StoneFree,

did you have any adverse side effects when taking this? it says it can interact poorly with other medication and I am currently taking Cipralex for my anxiety. Also, did you order it from that company where you posted the link?

stoneFree

I haven't experienced any negative side effects while taking that Kava. It could make you feel a little "high"... but nothing too powerful that would make you think twice about driving. I don't know if it would react with Cipralex or not, but I take Xanax and have had no interactions.

Yes, that link that I posted is exactly where I buy it from also. I'm not even sure if any other vendors sell that paste. Sorry for the late reply.

A

Ariz

Oh and I also suffer from hand sweating due to my anxiety. Did the paste help at all with this? Thanks for your help.

stoneFree

Well, I don't suffer from sweaty hands. But I imagine that it would help with that too if I had to guess.

The reason why I say that is because of the way it helps with blushing; the reason it helps prevent me from blushing so much is because it lowers my anxiety all round, so naturally I don't feel like blushing to begin with. The paste also helps to make me more social. I feel like I can open up more and actually talk to new people sometimes (I make sure to have some on hand when starting a new semester at college to make the first couple of weeks a little less stressful).

So I suppose that if your sweaty hands are the result of your anxiety, and the paste reduces your anxiety, then the paste would probably help with the sweaty hands as well.

alex7

are there any long term benefits to taking this? if you are still on xanax then im assuming this is just something that will help u get through somethign like an interview or a party, but much like alcohol, is just a temporary lubricant. Is that right?

stoneFree

Yea that's pretty much right. I actually do not enjoy taking xanax all that much, and only do it when I feel like I'm about to have a panic attack. Whereas the kava is more of a preventative measure that I'll use to loosen up a bit before I'm put in a situation where I know I'll be expected to socialize.

As far as long term benefits, I doubt it. The effects are felt within 30 minutes of ingesting, and wear off after a few hours. An interesting thing about it though is that my body never seemed to build up a tolerance for it. I've been using the same amount for as long as I can remember and always get the desired effect.