Just a thought...

Anonymous

Okay, this will probably sound stupid, but I was sitting alone in my school cafeteria during lunch yesterday, and I was thinking about this guy who I think might have SAD. I've been wondering about him all year, and he sits alone at lunch like I do. I'm afraid to talk to him, because usually when I have my "suspects," I observe them for a while and figure out that they probably don't have SAD after all. It's so hard for SAers to find each other, because we don't know when we see each other, so I was thinking...it doesn't have to be that way, does it? What if we had some kind of international SA symbol. We could put it on stuff, so when we see someone, we can know if they are an SAer or not by seeing if they have the symbol anywhere on them or on something they're carrying. Since it's so hard for us to make friends with "normal" people, we could all be friends, but not just on the internet. We could be friends in person if we knew when we saw each other. If seven percent of the world's population has SAD, there should be about seventy people just at my school who have it. If I knew who they were, we could all be friends, so everyone would have like sixty-nine friends just at school. Even in the smaller schools and workplaces and stuff, there could be ten or twenty of us. We might be more confident if we all had a bunch of friends, so we might find it easier to talk to the "normal" people, and we could be friends with whoever we want...Like I said, it probably sounds stupid, but whatever... :oops:

Anonymous

Do you think so? We could do it. We would just all have to agree on a symbol and start putting it on stuff...We could tell the people on other sites too, so almost everyone would know. If we try, maybe we could make it so no one ever has to be alone again. If we all had friends, SAD wouldn't really be a problem anymore, so in a way, we could all be free without actually changing anything in our brains. It could be like an SA revolution. We could take over the world...well, let's not get carried away, right? lol...but, do you think we should try it?...or is it stupid?...maybe that's just the SA talking...arghh :roll:

Anonymous

your right it does sound crazy, but i like it!! we could all relax. even if you didnt talk to the other person it would make a step to not being alone. could you imagine though, it would have to be some sort of good symbol that no one else could have, was not obvious to see etc we would all be walking up to people, what a confidence booster!!

Anonymous

That's a good idea, worrydoll. We could all get those necklaces, or we could think of a symbol...I don't know what though. Any ideas? You're right, Guest, it would have to be something no one else could have, so we don't mistake someone for an SAer and embarrass ourselves. The necklace is a good idea though...Anybody else got something?

Anonymous

Okay, I talked to some people on the Spanish site that is like this one (www.fobiasocial.net), and they had a good idea. Some of them were thinking that we should probably use a word for our symbol, and they suggested "¿Evitas?" It means "Do you avoid?" I guess that's referring to social situations and stuff like that. We were also thinking that we should probably keep it secret from the "normal" people, just in case they come up with some stupid idea. Eventually, they probably would, because so many of them are idiots...So, if they ask why we are writing it on everything, we can just say that we can't tell them. I think it could really help us if we could identify each other. Do you want to try it, people?

Anonymous

"¿Evitas?"

That's a super-cool idea, HiApeNest! It also encompasses people with avoidant personality disorder (think of SA, and then think "the same, but different" lol), who really are all in the same big dysfunctional SA/avoidance/anxiety family. :D

Plus it's cryptic to most... Without the quotation marks, the word looks Latin, and we could play with people's heads by telling them it's some exclusive intellectual society :twisted:

and people who would know what the word means in Spanish could be convinced, if need be, that it's a snarky way of telling others to go away-- it implies, "Do you avoid? Please do-- avoid me and go away" :twisted:

So if someone knows what it REALLy means, then they either have SA or know someone who does (or are secretly visiting these forums gathering intelligence to use against us... lol just kidding).

Cool idea!! You should post this on SAS too. :)

Anonymous

Yeah. We could even include the APD people. A lot of them probably need friends just as much as we do. We probably wouldn't use the quotation marks all the time. I just put those in my post because I was quoting someone else's idea. I don't know if that was even necessary, but it seemed grammatically correct to me. (I pay a lot of attention to grammar lol)
:lol: That's a good idea, playing with people's heads...It actually kind of is an exclusive intellectual society. We know things that no one else could ever understand, even if they tried. We really have a strong understanding of human nature and how what we do affects other people. A lot of them don't even care about other people. They just do whatever stupid things they feel like doing and don't think about how it will affect the world around them. They don't care if other people are lonely and miserable as long as they are happy, and they take everything for granted. Most of them couldn't last a single day in our position. They would just go crazy. I always find it satisfying to think to myself, "We are so much smarter and stronger than they are..."
I probably will post it on SAS. I want to get as much support for it as I can. I'm eager to do anything I can to help us all. I'm not going to put up with much more of this lonliness and unsureness. I'm going to take control of my life. I'm going to be free, and it's going to be soon, and I'm going to make sure that everyone else is free too. This is the best idea I could come up with, so I'm going to push it as far as I can.

whoa, don't mean to sound prejudiced toward the "normal" people. They are God's creatures, so we must love them. I do, but it would be a lot easier if they loved us too :(

Anonymous

Sorry if I offended anyone. I said some not so nice things about the normal people on the Spanish site, and someone got mad, so now I feel really bad. I think I said even more about them on this site, so I'm really sorry. It's hypocritical to descriminate against them, because then, we are doing the same thing that they do to us. I'm not saying that everyone who is outgoing is a bad person. I have some friends that are normal, and they are very nice. My parents are normal too, and I love them. Maybe stereotypically speaking, SAers are nicer than normal people, but it isn't always that way. I've met some really stupid SAers and some really nice normal people. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I think over the years I've just sort of gotten really mad at them for not being more understanding. I've always said that all people are created equally, but I just realized that over the past few months, I have acquired the belief that SAers are somehow better than everyone else, and we are not. We are great, wonderful people, but some of them are too, and I don't mean to offend anyone. Sorry. :oops:

Anonymous

Fantastic posts, HiApeNest!! :D You write really well.

For the longest time I would just think that the world has simply failed to recognize our inherent superiority. ;) lol At the end of one of the posts it almost sounded like you pitied the poor little beasties known as 'normal people' lol . I can appreciate the humor. But yes, it's probably not the best way to think about things.... none of us is better than anyone else... but you know that ;) I'm far from offended a I often think the same way ;) lol I suppose that to be human is to be biased, to form stereotypes to ease our navigation through the world.

But I also think that SA/APD makes it really easy to dislike and/or be disinterested in other people. Avoiding them becomes a habit, a safe routine, and we come up with all sorts of 'logical justifications' for our behavior, often without even realizing that we are doing it. Now I'm rambling ;)

Anonymous

Fantastic posts, HiApeNest!! :D You write really well.

For the longest time I would just think that the world has simply failed to recognize our inherent superiority. ;) lol At the end of one of the posts it almost sounded like you pitied the poor little beasties known as 'normal people' lol . I can appreciate the humor. But yes, it's probably not the best way to think about things.... none of us is better than anyone else... but you know that ;) I'm far from offended a I often think the same way ;) lol I suppose that to be human is to be biased, to form stereotypes to ease our navigation through the world.

But I also think that SA/APD makes it really easy to dislike and/or be disinterested in other people. Avoiding them becomes a habit, a safe routine, and we come up with all sorts of 'logical justifications' for our behavior, often without even realizing that we are doing it. Now I'm rambling ;)