Jobs?!? :/

I just moved in with my boyfriend about a month ago and have been looking for jobs but have had no luck at all so far. I've mostly been looking on the internet because the anxiety and social problems I have keep me inside everyday...every time i try to go out to a store or even to get gas i sweat and feel so tense and nervous. Also i've been avoiding certain jobs that require alot of social interaction, especially cashier jobs. I had a few of those and ended up getting so nervous i either started crying/blushing or got yelled at and fired because I couldn't handle the pressure of lines of people waiting for me to count out money/complete transactions. It was horrible ::(: Does anyone else have these problems with getting jobs? or if you do have a job, what do you do and how do you handle the pressure or dealing with people??

Danfalc

Banned
I was only able to hold down a job before my anxiety kicked in big time,like you I break into a sweat just being in a shop and find it extremely stressful.

I guess it's going to just be a case of looking for something which would be a bit easier on your anxiety.What about looking for a cleaning job?So your sort of your own boss and it isn't based on human interaction.That's what I'm going to try and get when I am well enough to look for work again.I think it's going to be tough right now with the world being the way it is money wise.

But hopefully if you just keep looking something will turn up.I don't know where you live,but here in the UK the job center is about the worse place you can normally go to look for a job.But they have advisors for people with problems like ours now who can sometimes help you find a job which is more suitable.Might be worth ringing up and asking if there is anything similar being offered in your area.

Hope you find something though,I think your being really brave looking for work.

reslo

im still struggling with interacting, but being independent is my goal in life, so i've made the promise to myself that i won't leave my job, unless i've gotten fired or found something better... but i want to quit in so many ways.
the best job i had was delivering newspapers because there was so little interaction and it was at night, just had to talk to my boss every one in a while.
the anxiety is still a struggle- in my last job, retail, i would hide from customers, but i got better, and i actually liked ringing people up because i wouldnt have to look at them- i can just stare at the register, and people generally weren't asking me questions i couldn't answer up at the register.
i think environment has a lot to do with it. I worked retail, but it wasn;t at a mall, and to be honest, i don't think icould handle that, but this store rarely had more than 10 customers in it, and rarely more than 1 0r 2 people in line and sometimes it would be dead. and my co-workers were really nice, and that helped.
i've worked fast food, and it was the worst job i had because i was constantly being criticized for my personality, and i would never work there again, and my boss was rude, and so were a lot of the people (with a couple of exceptions) who worked there (they adopted the same attidude of my boss- and so of course the boss liked them much more).
You can tell a lot from the interview- if you dont get along with them then, chances are it won't get better (thats been my experience).
Look for places that aren't as busy. And look at the people who work there already- if all the people there are in your face outgoing "hi how can i help you? let me tell you about our great specials today. that's a great outfit. have you tried this?" they have been trained that way, and chances are that is what the company is looking for. But if you go into a place and they're a little more apathetic, or they let the customer just shop/eat, and they don't bother you as much, or only approach you once, then chances are they will be a little more lowkey.
jobs like stocking, dishwasher, going and getting the carts at the grocery store, or maybe even working nights may be less stressful.
i'm expereinceing panic attacks at work, so right now im trying to get therapystarted with for it, because like you, the idea of applying for jobs is completely stressful for me, so if i lost my job which i've had for 2 months, i wouldn't know what to do (which i had applied for online- they had a jobfair, but i chickened out of going, but i may be getting fired soon so we'll see)
so look for jobs that may have personalities similar to your own, and the people you work with can make a world of difference.
i haven't found a way to make work easy, i just keep going each day, and hope i don't get fired- and the idea of applying for jobs is usually more stressful to me than the actual job itself. breathing exersices help, and for me i take it one day at a time, and getting help as soon as you need it is always good.
and customers are jerks, don't let them get you! i've had people reach over rip the bag out my hand when i was bagging things, or do the impatient finger tap on the desk, really doesn;t help. just keep in mind that if the worst thing that happens to them that day is that they had a slow salesgirl or they didn't get the right order that day, they have a really good life. people act like the worst has happened when really they haven't. good luck!

So far my jobs have been working with animals and working in kitchens. Asocial and anti social people seem to fit in well in those industries. In the kennel I was able to stay in the back and either do "playtimes" with animals or work as a groomtech....away from people. In the kitchen, everyone is antisocial in a way....kinda fun though. As mentioned cleaning jobs are also ways to avoid people.

As far as a real paying job, I have no idea what to do.

Thank you all for the advice! I really need to look into some of the kinds of jobs you guys mentioned. For right now, I have an appointment for a screening to get into a drug research study. It seems a little sketchy but If you guys are interested it is a good way to make money quickly with a minimal amount of social interaction. My only problem now is passing the health screening/drug test to get into the study...commence drinking tons of water!::eek::

Predacon

There's still a bit of interaction with cleaning depending on when you do it there can still be quite a few people hanging around still working.

Felgen

I used to have a problem getting jobs when my anxiety was at it's worst, because (let's be frank here) employers are damn picky when it comes to both social skills and past work experience.

PhantomPod

Believe it or not, I work in Client Service. Mostly I answer questions via email, but I also have to answer the phone sometimes. It has actually helped me quite a lot with my anxiety. I have been working here for two years now and at first I would blush whenever any of my co-workers would try to talk to me, and I would even just have a hard time saying "Hi" or "good morning" to people. Also, I was absolutely terrified of the phone and it would take me an hour to plan out a call and write up a script before I would make a necessary call.

If you were able to find something like that where you could answer questions via email, that may work out for you. I guess it's sort of like a "call center," except it is an "email center" because most client questions come in via email. Cause I know talking on the phone can be really freakin' terrifying.

Fighter86

I actually have experience with cashiering duties before when my colleague was on leave, it was terrible for me because there were several steps to operating the machine, and because I only do it once in awhile (only when my colleague is on leave etc which is quite rare), I kept forgetting the steps, and my other colleagues weren't very helpful in assisting me. Worse of all, I was pretty bad at handling money, and I always had a shortage or excess when there actually wasen't any. But yep, if you work at a busy store, you need to be quick and accurate.