Job Interviews

lilamsin

Does anyone have any tips on shaking hands before and after the job interview. I almost always have Palmar HH but when I interview, it get WAY WORSE. As you can imagine, I am focusing on the handshake that comes at the begining and the end of the interviews and it causes me more stress than any of the questionns!

What I did recently for my job interviews that seemed to help was freezing a bottle of water ahead of time and then right before i'm going to leave for my interview i take it out of the freezer. once i get there i prep myself in the car and take my things, including the frozen bottle of water, and walk in. then i hold it in my right hand and squeeze it till my hand gets really cold. then i would get the people who were interviewing me and switch the bottled water to my left hand quick, right before having to shake hands.
Another thing I did along with this was:
Before the interview i would always sit in the car in the parking lot with the cold air conditioning blasting and put my hands directly in front of the vents.
Hope this helps! Good luck!
p.s.- and after all three of my interviews, they offered me each job. so maybe my hand sweat wasn't very noticeable since i did these little techniques.

hyperxtechie

I understand what you mean. I always get paranoid during interviews too. One thing I do is use the restroom before & just run a lot of cold water on my hands, & dry them up w/ the paper towel. It seems to help a little bit. But one thing I suggest is just to play it off. Shake their hands firmly & pretend you don't have HH. If they notice, they'll forget about it during the interview process.

lilamsin

Those are really good suggestions. I am going through the interview process now and shaking their hands before AND after the interview, especially a panel of interviewers is just pure hell for me. I feel like I have to "act" more nervous then I really am, so tha I can "justify" why my hands are so sweaty. People are never going to understand that I just sweat even when I'm not nervous. Anyway..... I stayed at my last job for 6yrs because I was so paranoid about job interviews. Even to get a promotion you have to interview and if you know the people that are interviewing you, they just look at you and wonder why you are so nervous that your hands are dripping so I only interviewed at my old company one. It was so embarrassing, that I never did it again.
I haven't been offered a job yet so combined with the sweating and the rejections. I am a mess!

lilamsin

Those are really good suggestions. I am going through the interview process now and shaking their hands before AND after the interview, especially a panel of interviewers is just pure hell for me. I feel like I have to "act" more nervous then I really am, so tha I can "justify" why my hands are so sweaty. People are never going to understand that I just sweat even when I'm not nervous. Anyway..... I stayed at my last job for 6yrs because I was so paranoid about job interviews. Even to get a promotion you have to interview and if you know the people that are interviewing you, they just look at you and wonder why you are so nervous that your hands are dripping so I only interviewed at my old company one. It was so embarrassing, that I never did it again.
I haven't been offered a job yet so combined with the sweating and the rejections. I am a mess!

pedro123

I have HH every where except my hands (strangely) and I don't think people really care if your hands are sweaty. a lot of my friends were like this when we were young, and one of my g/fs had this problem.

that argument aside, there is that iono...treatment where you pass an electric current through some water, and apperently it is very effective

lilamsin

Hyperhidrosis of the hands for me has been a real road block. I mean you shake hands, hold hands with small children. (you know, to like help them cross the street etc.) you do arts and crafts, you touch keyboards, and paper, and all in all you always leave a wet mark on things. Summer is coming and that is one season that is difficult for me. However, if its outside and I shake someone's hand I can "blame" my HH on the the really hot temperatures. :)