Job dilemma- would you take redundancy?

IceLad

Hello everyone.

I’m looking for people to perhaps share their experiences or express their opinions.

I’ve been in my current job for over 5 years now. My employer is currently seeking volunteers for redundancy, and I’m not sure what to do for the best.

This has been my first ever job and it has given me some of the most bad weeks ever in terms of SP. At times, I have felt really terrible, and I‘m still not fully used to it even now, although I’m 'reasonably comfortable’ (if that makes any sense). I do know that if I didn’t have SP, I would of changed jobs years ago.

If I did decide to go, I would have about six months salary as a redundancy payment, but the thought of finding another job, getting used to a new routine and new people really freaks me out. For a start, I don’t have a clue who I could put down for references.

On one hand, the location is convenient in terms of travelling to work, and they let me work my chosen work pattern. Contrast this with the fact that if I stay, the chances are, I’ll be doing something I don’t feel comfortable with, and the fact that all staff get treated like muck anyway.

If I stay, I might well be there forever, and never have the nerve to change my career. If I go, I could well go back in terms of the progress I've made with SP.

So what does everyone think? Stay or go?

maggie

ahhh IceLad..such a hard predicament! Like you say, on the one hand, you are 'reasonably comfortable' there..it is convenient, close to where you live, but, on the other hand, this is a great opportunity to make a change..and if you did stay, you may never leave. All i can say is what i would probably do..i would likely stay, just because the thought of having to job search elsewhere..would scare the crap out of me..but, if you're able to do that, it would be a great opportunity!! If i thought myself able to get out there and look for something else, that's what i would do. Think of it this way..at least you have a career..and you're in the position to make a decision..either way, it will be the right one for you..good luck :!:

Scottish_Player

Hi IceLad

I think only you can answer this one as only you knows the true situation, from my point of view i would probably also stay unless the chances of you getting another job are high.

Why not have a look around just now as to what jobs you could do that are avaiable now, then maybe go for a few interviews while your still in your current job and either way its a win win situation for you, because if you get another job then you can take the 6 months pay :D

The one thing you dont want to do is take the money and then go on the down hill slope falling more and more into the hands of SA/SP because you might not have another job.

maggie

IceLad said:
Hello everyone.

I’m looking for people to perhaps share their experiences or express their opinions.

I’ve been in my current job for over 5 years now. My employer is currently seeking volunteers for redundancy, and I’m not sure what to do for the best.

This has been my first ever job and it has given me some of the most bad weeks ever in terms of SP. At times, I have felt really terrible, and I‘m still not fully used to it even now, although I’m 'reasonably comfortable’ (if that makes any sense). I do know that if I didn’t have SP, I would of changed jobs years ago.

If I did decide to go, I would have about six months salary as a redundancy payment, but the thought of finding another job, getting used to a new routine and new people really freaks me out. For a start, I don’t have a clue who I could put down for references.

On one hand, the location is convenient in terms of travelling to work, and they let me work my chosen work pattern. Contrast this with the fact that if I stay, the chances are, I’ll be doing something I don’t feel comfortable with, and the fact that all staff get treated like muck anyway.

If I stay, I might well be there forever, and never have the nerve to change my career. If I go, I could well go back in terms of the progress I've made with SP.

hey IceLad..how much time do you have to decide? And have you made your decision, or still thinking about it :?:

van_sp

You already know the answer. I'm going through the same thing, exactly. The question I asked myself is, "to what extent are you going to let fear rule your life?"
I quit twice (sorta), the first time, on the way to work, knowing I was going to quit, I was having second thoughts, I walked into my bosses' office and told him I wasn't happy and was thinking about leaving. He tried to convince me to stay, and I said I'd think about it some more.
2 weeks later, having thought about it some more, and writing down even more reasons of why I needed to vacate, I walked into his office again, and told him my decision was final. I currently have under 2 weeks left at this job. I feel great.
I am going to retrain in school, then travel for a year, then re-enter the job market again.
I don't know if I'd agree that leaving your current job would increase your SP, I would think it will increase your anxiety short-term if you think negatively about it a lot, but after you complete your transition, it's another experience which I believe would decrease your SP. Because hey, now you've proven once again you CAN handle it and it's wasn't the big deal you make it out to be.
To quote Mark Twain, "I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened."

IceLad

maggie said:
IceLad said:
Hello everyone.

hey IceLad..how much time do you have to decide? And have you made your decision, or still thinking about it :?:

Thanks for your replies so far. van_sp- that's a neat quote from Mark Twain.

I've still got a few weeks to decide. At the moment, I'm more inclined to leave rather than stay.