Ive started Citalopram yesterday for anxiety

scruffpot

so I got told by the docs after a few bad weeks that it would be a good idea to try Citalopram. Ive never tried any antidepressant/anxiety drugs as of yet and always wanted to get my head sorted forst before considering a drug but early days..
so far Im waiting for 1 on 1 work, I do stress countrol anger management followed but anxiety society meetings everyweek, it might be pilling it on thick but slightly determind to get myself back to normal, but then my thyroid is a bit up to spout so that does not help.

Anyway anyone here tried this?

recluse

I've been on Citalopram for two years and it helps me a great deal. The only thing is that i think it kind of plays havoc with my mood; I'm often irritable, and i often get overly elated moods. Otherwise it works a treat.

It will take about two weeks for you to start feeling the effects.

scruffpot

hi, thanks for the reply, glad its helping you. yeah i ahve a problem with my moods due to my thyroid being a bit wrong and being up one day and the next and always having my levels adjusted. hopefully this will help balance me out a bit more -- according to the docs.

Emmmmy

HI,
Citalopram worked great for me too.... although make sure you don't stop abruptly (i.e. make sure you don't run out) as it can make you dizzy and almost blackout. As Recluse says though, it is good stuff.

Joolin

Citalopram is a tough one - it's great for anxiety but terrible for depression. From my experience, it works by eliminating feeling, not making you happy. Since anxiety is a feeling, it does a good job getting rid of it. Depression, on the other hand, is a lack of feeling - an emotional numbness - so Citalopram only makes it worse. Basically, just keep a close eye on your emotions and regulate your dosage accordingly.

Ehsan

among all SSRIs i've tried so far(Citalopram, Sertraline, Fluoxetine) citalopram was the best. however citalopram+sertraline works great for me.

StonedBob

Citalopram is a tough one - it's great for anxiety but terrible for depression. From my experience, it works by eliminating feeling, not making you happy. Since anxiety is a feeling, it does a good job getting rid of it. Depression, on the other hand, is a lack of feeling - an emotional numbness - so Citalopram only makes it worse. Basically, just keep a close eye on your emotions and regulate your dosage accordingly.

Strange... For me it's working really well for my depression, but not so good for my anxiety :D.
@scruffpot : By the way, it's possible that you feel more anxious when you start taking citalopram (it happened to me), but it's a normal effect and it will disapear quickly, after a week.

scruffpot

i ahve to admit i am feeling a tad strange today a bit shakey but then im not really eating much and a bit wobblely but then i have been out skating, i have been able to think clearly then not then clearly. i dont really know what to expect or not to be honest.
everyone has different effects to tablets but im nt going to let anything get on top of me, just taking this month off and not doing much

SammyT

Hey scruffpot ,
You might feel a bit crappy during the first few weeks and this is normal when starting anti depressant meds like SSRIs.
I tried the different version of that called Esctialopram which worked well for depression but i'm not sure about the anxiety. I wasn't as strict back then with mixing alcohol with meds and I think I might have dulled the effect of the antidepressant by drinking. It tends to effect me pretty bad if i drink alot, the next few days are kinda lousy - regardless of whether i had a hangover.

Good luck mate, dont worry if u feel yucky its normal, but you might not feel like that anyway since everyone reacts differently, twas yucky for me though xD

Skald

I will be interested to see how this works out as I am new to Citalopram. Previously been issued Fluoxetine. Which I found to give me a sore stomach and the shakes. Though this seems to have many positive views here.

jennismortal

That's good to know!Thanks.It's different for me it's working really well for my depression, but not so good for my anxiety.

Daisydoll

Hi scruffpot, Citalopram works well for me too. Took the depression away in two weeks but felt more anxious than ever for seven weeks - then all of a sudden, literally overnight it just disappeared. Have used it for quite a few years and came off it for about eight months last year, have been on it again for four months. I consider this a miracle drug for me, I have no side effects at all. Hope it works for you too!

babegolden20

i have tried citolpram it is a good depression drug except that it gives you diaharrea which really sucks. So i stop taking them and am now on prozac, wellbutrion, and abilifty this comb works well for me.

Taciturn

Hello

Two years ago, while having counselling, I was put on Fluoxetine. I told my counsellor I didn't really feel it was working so I was started on Citalopram and it was hell. As you probably know, it's not going to work in the same way for everyone and might actually make you feel even more depressed as it did me. I did stuff I regret so badly now but I don't mean to say that will happen to you or anyone else for that matter. If the effects it has on you are positive then that's great news :) I really hope it helps you