it has took me a while but...

nikki_marie

I finally feel at peace with the world around me.
Although i never had social phobia, i come here because my depression made me suffer greatly socially, and this is what the site is all about.
It effected me because for a long time i never felt good enough, funny enough, cool enough or any enough for anyone or anything. I felt that everyone hated me and i was incapable of close relationships, so in that sense, you and i have alot in common.

Things hit rock bottom for me about 2 months ago. my depression was very bad and everything was falling apart around me, i didnt know who i was and i didint feel on a level with anyone, although i pretended greatly through it, i am a stubborn person, although i feel inferior ill be damned before i let others know it.

Then while things were at there worst, i suddenly felt like me again. i think the saying you have to hit rock bottom before you can come up is VERY true. I suppose alot of you are thinking how could i possibly feel more crap than i do now. well you have to put yourself out there and become totally vunerable to all the nasty things, experience them head on (i had panic attacks for the first time ever during this), break down and want to give up, and its when i thought 'no! i will not give up, this is my F-ing life!', this is when i took my confidence back, because i realised how in control of my life and emotions i truly was.

now rather than walking down the street thinking 'ooo he looked at me funny' i think ' i couldnt give a toss if i had a turd on my head, im having a good time!'.

I understand completely that the habbit of feeling horriable for so many years is very tough to break, and easy to slip back into once you do, you cannot give your old habbits even 5 minutes, you need to think in your new way. My advice for keeping up new habbits is to think of yourself in your old age, how do you want to remember your life? it scared me so much because right now? remembering the last 5 years would be; sleeping, getting to drunk at weekends and typing all my insecurities in google to read about other peoples to see if im 'normal'. i want to remember times i laughed, things ive seen and places i went, and i cant do that inless i get out of my head and life my life externally, which i think some of you can relate on that one. also dont start new habbits in the morning, start them now, this very second.

remember you are human and you will feel anxious in some scenarios. for me, i was in a group interview where i has to hard sell my partner to why he should be employed. i have no experience in selling, i felt like crap and i didnt want to do it. i looked at the guy next to me after he had done his, and he was trembling! on the surface he was confident though. i realised, hey...its normal to be anxious.

anyways, i wanted to let this out, and to maybe help someone else too.
thanks for reading.

Noca

Banned
Glad you found a way out of depression! Depression fools me 100 times out of 100. I can't seem to distinguish depression from reality anymore. Its been there for so long that it seems real.

It effected me because for a long time i never felt good enough, funny enough, cool enough or any enough for anyone or anything. I felt that everyone hated me and i was incapable of close relationships, so in that sense, you and i have alot in common.

yes,.. I feel exactly like this..
and I guess when u see u do need to reach rock bottom,. cuz then there are two options suicide or accepting urself.. experiencing that kind of pain makes u make a choice..i guess..
glad ur good and that u shared ur story, cuz most ppl dont :)

boro

Yes, i feel a similar way now. For me hitting rock bottom involved more worrying concerns than ordinary interactions with people so you could say my social anxiety took a back seat at least for a little, making me more open about things which further decreased my social anxiety. I think the challenge is then not slipping back in to old habits and keeping the momentum going. Its not easy though at least for me

nikki_marie

i think being sensative to every little thing someone says also doesnt help keep your head up high, one needs to learn to take opinions with a pinch of salt. one person might think your boring, one person might think your heaps of fun, depending on how that person defines such things.
its a complicated world we live in, with complicated situtations and dynamics. i think the easiest way to not make things even more complicated is just stay true to yourself and imagin yourself with a soft outline in which not everything can be let in, but only few things that are a big enough deal to be worth letting through.