It all started eating breakfast one day with a friend ...

T87

I was 20 pounds overweight and went on the Adkins Diet (which was too brutal to follow) and soon after the SugarBuster Diet. I lost 20 pounds in three months! It was awesome.

One day I was eating breakfast with my buddy and ate some hash browns (up to this point ... I hadn't eaten many simple carbohydrates). This triggered something in me I can only describe as a massive insulin rush over my body. I thought I was having a heart attack, went home, and went to the ER. Everything checked out. This was 2003.

Since then I had occasional bouts with the "insulin rush" as I called them.

2005 came around and I was in the midst of writing a thesis, to no avail. It was horrible and I decided to see a doctor. He prescribed Adderall. Hot damn! I wrote the darn thing in less than four months! It was incredible! I started using the Adderall on a daily basis for a new job. I was fine with it until I started drinking caffeine with it. It made me high and I loved that!

2006 -- I was driving long distance and using my trusty Adderall/caffeine cocktail when -- BAM -- out of nowhere I had my first "panic attack". I was hyperventilating, heart rate was pretty elevated, and I "talked" my self down and found a hotel. Called my sister and she told me I had just had a panic attack. Oh, I stopped taking Adderall soon after.

So, since then I've been having "panic attacks". Little ones here and there and big ones once in a while. I've been to the ER several times in the past two years thinking I'm having a heart attack. I've been checked out as fine.

Within the past two weeks, I have been having this cloudy feeling in my head. It seems like pressure is building and I'm a little loopy. I've taken an aspirin and it seems to help a little ... I've also had a few beers and it's helped, also ... but all I want to do is sleep.

I want to see my doctor, but I think he thinks I'm a hypochondriac and won't assist me. I want to go to the ER to have a hypoglycemic test done, but don't really know how to ask. I've started taking Mg Citrate (400mg/daily) and thought it was working (actually, I haven't had the traditional "panic attacks" I've been used to since then). I'm kinda at the end of the road.

On top of this ... I'm being transferred from a relatively obscure job that I've been having for the past four years (in that I work at home most of the time writing) to a position that will require a lot of human contact and I'm totally freaked out that I'll have a panic attack in front of a colleague!!!!!!!

I'm not really sure anyone can help me with this ... but it is especially nice to know that there are others suffering with this affliction ... and having an opportunity to express my feelings to an audience of fellow sufferers is hopefully going to help.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!

Hi. How much adderall were you taking? It's given me a panic attack too before, but that was only when I took like 190mg, which was really really really really really stupid. I normally take 40 mg daily, and it actually calms be down, but not when it's high like that. That is probably what triggered it, but I don't know what is making you have them now.

Before did you feel like you never wanted to sleep? Because if you just feel like sleeping all the time, but not because you're lazy, there could be something physically wrong with you. Probably nothing bad though. And I'm really not sure. I'm soooo confused too asdf!

T87

I was taking 25mg XR/daily ... but that wasn't good enough for me ... so I started upping the dosage to somewhere near 75mg (occasionally 100mg). I stopped taking it daily after a while to build "reserves". Then I would kinda binge on them. I loved the clean high I got from them (I also liked cocaine when I was in college -- but it was usually cut).

It's been almost two years since I've taken any Adderall; however, the attacks continue. I can almost deal with the chest feelings, but the dull pressure head cloudiness is getting old.

190mg, huh? That's balls-to-the-wall (excuse the cliche) crazy! I did a little research on Adderall and found it rather difficult to overdose ... but it will make an abuser wish he/she didn't dabble with more than prescribed! I can attest to that ... and from the sound of it ... so can you!

I've taken the online hypoglycemic test and it showed me at risk. I'm wondering if that could be my problem. Have you looked into this?

75 mg is a lot to take daily! I've been taking 40mg for likw 3 years now, and I haven't really noticed any problems, except when I binge on it, which I shall never ever ever do anymore after I felt like I was gonna die 8O.

I've been getting a lot of panic attacks lately too, I had a really horrible one yesterday night. I'm not quite sure what hypoglycemia, but after reading it I can identify with almost all the symptoms except for feeling sleepy, which I have the complete opposite of. I think they are very common symtoms though, which makes me think not so much. I have a lot of physical problems, I mean I get sick like all the time, are you the same way? You should probably get this checked out, because you can neevr be sure :).

T87

I'm in the process of moving ... which is rather unnerving to me. But, I don't feel stressed which is weird. I plan on seeing a doctor when I get to my new town. I think I'll start seeing a psychologist that I don't know, too.

This is a sidebar to other viewers ... NEVER date a psychologist! I met a psychologist several years ago and we recently started dating. She is a hot mess herself and she analyzes stuff I do. She told me it was "fun" dealing with people with panic attacks. She's history as of a couple days ago! I could write a column or two with the crap she's told me!

Anyway, the hypoglycemic test is interesting. I have many of those symptoms. I'm attempting to start a hypoglycemic diet (which is essentially the SugarBuster diet) to see where this leads me. I want to get a test done ... but it's usually for Type II diabetes. I've been tested for that ... but the hypo-test is similar but with different parameters.

Anyone else looked into this? Anyone looked into Magnesium deficiencies? I've been taking 400mg of Magnesium Citrate.

Sjoseph

I personally found that when I had experienced panic attacks that caffeinated coffee made things much worse. As soon as I cut out the caffeine, the panic attacks subsided quite dramatically, including their intensity.

One interesting thing to mention -- My first panic attack was when I drank too much caffeinated cola. Again, too much caffeine. I've read a lot of articles about caffeine induced panic attacks, and have written about my experiences of panic attacks and caffeine on my own website.

Fortunately, after quite a few panic attacks, I was able to overcome them completely and have been panic attack free for many years.

Last edited:

lettypagb

lol , coffe and sugar is so weird to read about . danm ,i wish i had started something bad-ass like adderal or ritalin instead of paxil .

pschid : i think you have this disease where you think you have a lot of diseases.