Is this weird in therapy?

Meatwad

Is it strange for a therapist to tell me stories about something that happened to her? I mean, it is kind of related to what I would be talking about, but to me it seems unneccesary (sp?) and I get so antsy and frustrated when she goes on tangents. Just wondering if this is very unusual? I have no idea.

J

If used infrequently to illustrate a point, it's OK. If it's more than that, and it seems like she's just being chatty, then that's not a good thing. The therapist is not supposed to be discussing herself (and getting paid for it!), she's supposed to be discussing you!

If your therapist can't stick to the matter at hand, consider mentioning it to her or getting a new therapist. You have every right to be annoyed by that. :)

young

she's just probably trying to tell you stories of how she can relate to you. in her weird way.

JJenny

People with anxiety and social phobia often feel intimidated by those in positions of authority. So a therapist who may come across as being the one who knows more than we do and without the usual human flaws or experiences could hinder the clients progress and increase the feelings of powerlessness.
I went to a therapist for a couple of weeks, and made a lot of progress just being able to talk and she related a couple of situations of her own that were in her life parallel to mine. This ultimately assisted me in feeling greater ease with her and to not hold her on a pedestal as an all knowing, all perfected human being, guru of psychology but as someone who had a compassionate desire to help others and also had valuable tools to help me in empowering myself, plus someone who'd walked some of her talk.
Think about this in relation to everyday life ....... isn't it easier to feel comfortable with someone who shares their pain with you rather than someone who just continuously listens and gives you advice and never shows you a hint of their own fear or moments of self doubt.