is this ocd?

PeacePlease

Six months ago i went though a very stressful situation.
Soon after i started having unwated thoughts.For the first few months every time i had a unwanted thought i would have a panic attack .
Then i realized how ridiculas it was fearing my own thoughts.I realized i was not going to act own my thought and that they were lies.
I eliminated the panic attacks completly but still have those terrible thoughts and anxiety.Some days the anxiety is worse then others

Im pretty sure this is ocd but want to make sure.
does everyone need treatment?
I mean when it first started i was in very bad shape cause i did not know what was going on. Now i dont get as worked up about the thoughts and take it for what it is ,a disease. IT SUCKS dont get me wrong .Is it best to tell people you are close to you have it or is that a mistake.

KazFace

This is more of an anxiety disorder than OCD, which is more to do with rituals and displacement of situations in to rituals to relieve stress.

paulmm

That could be OCD, and it might not be OCD

OCD is not based on specific symptoms, but a very general collections of symptoms

Basically, OCD causes the sufferer to make very arbitrary laws for themselves to relieve stress. These laws can take the form of compulsions, further obsessing (in your case, unwanted thoughts), and sometimes panic attacks. Not all OCD sufferers have rituals or physical compulsions. Whatever you have, remember that your unwanted thoughts are just thoughts, and there is no such thing as a good or bad thought, only good or bad actions. Everyone has disgusting, immoral, and perverted thoughts, usually everyday. People with OCD have these unwanted thoughts many times a day and cannot ignore them or 'shrug them off' like most people can.

When you get anxious, try different methods of alleviating the stress other than rituals or panic attacks. Some methods are going for a run, exercising, deep breathing, and if you can, thinking rationally about your unwanted thoughts (which is almost impossible for people with OCD).

I have strong OCD, and I have very few visible compulsions, but many mental compulsions that take up 15+ hours a day in one way or another. I find that the absolute best way of dealing with unwanted thoughts or compulsions is to write about them. Whether you are writing to a friend or therapist or just writing in general, writing and expression in all forms helps alleviate stress and actually decreases unwanted thoughts in general to astronomical degrees.