Is The Fear Of Going Crazy And OCD Related?

MotherWolff

Banned
A few months ago starting somewhere between April and May, I feel this extreme fear of losing my mind. I am so so so so scared that one day or night, I will suddenly hallucinate in every sense(through sight, hearing, smell, and touch), have delusions about everyone being government agents or spies, aliens, clones, you name it, and that I won't be able to distinguish fantasy from reality. I even began to have some dreams that I snapped and ended up in a mental institution. Should I tell my therapist about this so I can get a diagnosis(presumably for OCD) and thusly begin treatment? I think I will since my next session is this coming saturday. But does it even make any sense to be diagnosed with OCD just because of one thing(in my case. the fear of going nuts)? As you can see, I am not too familiar on what it takes to have OCD. I just want to know if you have a fear of going crazy means you have OCD or something else so that way I can get this solved somehow. Is there anyone else who can relate to this?

Yes, I really do need help!!! :cry:

OCD-01

If you cannot manage the fear and you think about it hours and hours than it's a case of OCD. Remember that mental disorders like schizofrenia which involve allucinations and loss of reality sense doesn't produce fear for the sufferers. The fear you have to be crazy is a clear sign of an OCD related problem.

MotherWolff

Banned
I must thank you OCD-01 for replying to my thread. I don't suffer from schizophrenic hallucinations but I sometimes believe that I do suffer from the delusional(to a minor extent, for an example, I have this belief that an invisible audience is viewing me especially when I am alone) and paranoid aspects of schizophrenia. And this belief seems to get stronger and stronger by the minute.

I can go for hours on the cpu researching on mental disorders and phobias so that I may relate to them. It would almost appear as if I want to lose my mind because I fear insanity to a major degree. I saw my therapist last saturday and my stupid ass blew the chance to tell her about this highly irrational fear of mine because I always freeze up and forget to tell her the things that she really needs to know. But next month I am scheduled to see my doc, so I will alert him about this and see if he can prescribe me any meds that can prove to be useful to me. Yes, this fear has occupied much of my mind. 8O

Again, thank you OCD-01 for your reply, and thank you to anyone else who expresses their concern.

asubscriber99

you absolutely need to tell your therapist, you have some symptoms of psychosis.

you may have ocd with psychotic feature, and another possible diagnosis is schiz-OCD.

so u need to tell ur therapist about it.

MotherWolff

Banned
I want to tell my therapist about it but every single time I visit her I just end up freezing which causes me to forget what I really want to say. And on top of that my mom and and another relative of mine constantly warns me NOT to ever tell my therapist and my doc about it, or else I will either be perscribed to take medicine that could be lethal or I will be comitted to a mental hospital.

With that in mind, I'm not so sure I want to tell my therapist about this. And every time I ask my mom about this she'll usually get very irritable and tells me she doesn't want to talk about it....But I can't go on living with this fear!

Staku

Unless you genuinely think there is some invisible audience constantly watching you, you probably just have OCD. OCD includes obsessions

You're obsessing that you will start to go crazy. After watching a documentary about schizophrenia, I started to have the same problem. I couldn't look at still pictures of people for fear of seeing their eyes turn to meet mine. I even got panic attacks looking at the word schizophrenia.

What you need to do is stop worrying about it. Unless lots of people in your immediate family have it, you have little to worry about. Stop reading about it, it will do no good.

For me, I was afraid I'd wake up to hearing voices that weren't there, and in that morning suddenly become schizophrenic. This is absolutely irrational, as the disease is so rare, and no one in any of my family has had it.

So yes, a obsessing over a fear to where it detracts from your everyday life would be OCD.

If you actually think someone is out to get you, someone is watching you when you are alone, or something similar, you need to get help immediately.

MotherWolff

Banned
That's funny. I also got this "fear of going crazy" after watching some documentaries about schizophrenia. But about the belief of invisible audiences, people out to get me(paranoia), and being watched even behind closed doors(especially while I'm alone) has probably been with me since I was 14 or 15. I now realize that I am in need of help, however, I'm not sure what could help me. I am willing to take meds, but I don't know which is most effective for these delusions I have. Yes I believe this is OCD because I think about this more than once a day every day. Its bad enough to keep me awake for hours or sometimes I try sleeping for hours to put this excessive fear on hold for a while. I wish I could just snap out of it, but I doubt I could. :/

OCD-01

OCD is a really bastard. It could let you believe that you heard voices but in reality you didn't hear anything. The fear to be schizophrenic produces false emotions and your mind isn't capable to distinguish your thoughts from what is really happening. It's a classic OCD symptom. Harmless but very very disturbing. It is the anxiety to being sick of some illness and your mind produces every symptom of that illness but in reality you're absolutely healthy.

R

Richm77

Hey guys, I deal with the same exact thing. One day in psychology class, while reading about schizophrenia, I had a panic attack. The panic made me feel very weird, so I told myself that it was the onset of schizophrenia and it triggered more and more panic attacks. For about 3 months now, I've been battling this, seeing doctors, psychologists, seeking insight from my family, friends and religious figures at my church. They have ALL thoroughly assured me that, in contrary to my belief, I am in no way, shape, or form, schizophrenic or even in the early, early stages of the disease. Yet, my mind always finds away around the assurance that they provide me. Every move I make, I ask myself, "Was that something a crazy person would do?, Am I crazy?, Oh, no, I'm crazy!" I've basically shattered myself from the inside out, not only in terms of my character, but my courage, dignity and self respect is now just a dream for me to obtain. I use to be the most confident person in the world, football captain, best writer in my senior class, class clown, most sought-after guy in school. Until that one day in psychology... I can't even live a normal day without asking myself if every thought that I have is a delusion or not. I have nightmares of being schizophrenic and doctors telling me that I am. I have nightmares of horrific things such as relatives dying and I hate it. I am afraid to tell my psychologist due to the fear of being crazy and I am afraid that he will diagnose me as crazy. I also have had dreams of my friends going online and finding the things I have posted and it scares me. Recently, I have learned that doing things you loved before all of this happened will greatly decrease the population of your bad thoughts. Get out of your own head, workout, go for a drive, hang out with friends and please have faith in the lord that your problems will be healed!