Is social anxiety based around fear?

Ryguy2598

It seems to me that social anxiety is based around fear....would you agree? Having social anxiety myself, I realize I'm fearful about a lot of things. It's why, like in class, I don't speak up very much because I'm fearing what others will think of me....or I times I will avoid social situations because I'm fearing I won't be "sociable" enough or that others wont like me.....It all revolves around FEAR. Sure, whether you have SA or not, we all have our fears. But people w/ SA fear....people basically. They fear the opinions of others. So if SA is based on fear, then how do we become fearless about socializing?

Yeah it is common knowledge.....so I guess the question is more how to stop fearing what other people think. :p

Last edited:
It seems to me that social anxiety is based around fear....would you agree? Having social anxiety myself, I realize I'm fearful about a lot of things. It's why, like in class, I don't speak up very much because I'm fearing what others will think of me....or I times I will avoid social situations because I'm fearing I won't be "sociable" enough or that others wont like me.....It all revolves around FEAR. Sure, whether you have SA or not, we all have our fears. But people w/ SA fear....people basically. They fear the opinions of others. So if SA is based on fear, then how do we become fearless about socializing?

Yeah it is common knowledge.....so I guess the question is more how to stop fearing what other people think. :p

Yes, I believe it is mostly the fear of being judged unfavourably by other people, that you feel that other people are watching you and thinking about you and deciding whether they like your looks, actions, habits, whatever.

How to remove the fear? Change thoughts from "I worry about what other people think about me" to "No matter what I do or how I look, I don't care much about what other people think or say about me"

sullyS25

When I read the topic I wanted to say of course it is based around fear hence the Phobia part of Social PHOBIA. As far as overcoming what others think, there are many different ways to go about it. Exposure to the things that make u very fearful works if you do it enough, it is easier said than done but the more you put yourself out there the easier it is to do There are a lot of books out there that describe techniques for overcoming the fear as well.

One book in particular that really helped me doesnt even mention social anxiety or social phobia but it is called "The Power of Now" and it helped me immensely to stop worrying about the future and living in the past and to cherish the present moment. If you really want to help yourself and take steps to do it then I would definitely recommend that book because it is incredible.

jamie99

My therapist calls it Fear of Negative Evaluation, and pronounces it as a swear word like eff en ee or FNE. He always says it's that ef en e talking lol

hoddesdon

Yes, I believe it is mostly the fear of being judged unfavourably by other people, that you feel that other people are watching you and thinking about you and deciding whether they like your looks, actions, habits, whatever.

How to remove the fear? Change thoughts from "I worry about what other people think about me" to "No matter what I do or how I look, I don't care much about what other people think or say about me"

Yes, that's right - excessive concern about others' opinions. Also misjudging others' opinions in a negative way.

The problem is that this is not some weird phenomenon, but a necessary one which has got out of control. Someone who has total disregard for others' opinions and feelings is a psychopath. Obviously, if everyone did that then you would not have a workable world.

layeazy

fear somewhat more so us we are the problem and we are just managing it as best we can. I think love is the answer being positive and just do love everyone loves love and its free...