Is it true that social anxiety is for life

jerim

I went through the net and search for information about social anxiety.It seems its totally incurable as it will stick with u for the rest of your life.The only thing that can be done is minimise the panic attack.Anyone here has recovered from social anxiety?

Hellraising

No not minimize the panic/anxiety attacks, but minimize the fear an anxiety. I don't think you could ever recover from any disorders, but more so of you'd always be in recovery. An example would be a drug addict, he'd always be a recovering drug addict.

I'm sure the recovering social phobics no longer get panic/anxiety attacks and live life pretty much ordinarily. I hope I answered your question well.

IcanDoIt

everyone experiences anxiety..its really normal, so everyone in this whole world basically will not recover from anxiety, its a normal thing in life.

but, with the correct techniques, anxiety can be eliminated..it just takes that 110% determination that you will succeed conquering it.

im one example.

its been more than a year since I made a point to change, and when i read my previous posts under a different user name, i feel so sorry for that guy.

life would be much better if i did what i do now 3 years ago.. :?

Skyla

its been more than a year since I made a point to change, and when i read my previous posts under a different user name, i feel so sorry for that guy.

life would be much better if i did what i do now 3 years ago

thats encouraging to read.... 8)

IcanDoIt

taws said:
you can certainly get better but yea i doubt youll ever be on the same level of someone who doesnt have SA.

sorry to burst your bubble..

i think i am, or even better than someone who doesnt have SA

not being overconfident here, even though i may not be the most confident guy when facing certain challenges, i am sure i am ahead of some people who doesnt have SA..

do i sound overconfident here?

arrggh.. :wink:

thugaveli

I don't believe you can overcome social anxiety, if anyone has then i think they must have not had it severe

The only way to beat social anxiety is to just accept it *shrugs* and cope the best you can :roll:

JJenny

Is it true that social anxiety is for life?

I prefer to refuse to believe that, just as it grows and takes over more areas and creates more fear in our lives, I think that since we created more of it we should be able to decrease the fear also. It basically is just fear at work and I've taken responsibility fully for that, no one else is to blame etc. I accept I am highly sensitive to everything in this world, and that is a gift not a curse - flip the coin over and see the other side of the pain :)
In understanding it I have learnt so much about myself and other people. I've looked into areas of emotions, thought processes, spirituality, and psychology - ;earnt mountains of stuff that if I'd not had this social anxiety I'd never even have known about and my life I feel would have been living a life of superficiality seeking the $. This although so often debilitating anxiety has kept me authentic to awaken to self healing, but I do think it's one of life's hardest paths. Accepting it as a gift might sound strange to some but it truly is an incredible thing to learn from. I have to work on it everyday but I'm committed to being a better person who is not going to live in limitation. I and all people are worthy of a good life! Give yourselves a pat on the back!

IcanDoIt

"yea what a great bubble, shame you burst it, really im pissed"

yea what a great unproven statement you have made, shame you said it, really im pissed

kkk, lets not argue, you and your beliefs, me and mine. and i apologise if u misunderstood me.

jerim

yep i think we should accept who we are and what we are and dont probe over it.Its a unwanted gift i guess

IcanDoIt

taws said:
lol oh no, you took my sarcasm for reality. umm yea im a very sarcastic person so just know that i was being myself when i said that, which means i was joking.

its nice to hear that youre not really pissed buddy.

cos i thought you were really pissed.

i will sum up by saying that SA is beatable. YOU CAN DO IT.

racheH

Hellraising said:
No not minimize the panic/anxiety attacks, but minimize the fear an anxiety. I don't think you could ever recover from any disorders, but more so of you'd always be in recovery. An example would be a drug addict, he'd always be a recovering drug addict.

I'm sure the recovering social phobics no longer get panic/anxiety attacks and live life pretty much ordinarily.
I would put this in my signature I've been posting it so much, but it would look a bit random due to the address: http://www.dentalfearcentral.com/overcome_phobia_neuro.html
If your anxiety is caused by a phobia, ie an irrational fear of something that you know is not dangerous, housed in the amygdala, as opposed to low self-confidence, then I know it can be cured because that's what I had and now I don't. Like Hellraising says, I am probably a recovering phobe, as phobias easily return if you don't expose yourself to the stimuli (disapproval, in my case) regularly. That website explains it.

Actually, I still battle with low social confidence (expect to be rejected if I'm too true to myself). This is now about five months since I've considered the phobia completely gone. I think that for me at least, the phobia is easier to cure than the self-esteem issues associated. At least now I'm not affected in an irrational way about people's feelings towards me, even if I do exaggerate what they are.

About the severity thing, I actually think the near-extremity of mine made me more likely to cure it successfully. It was hard work sticking to the techniques I used, but the desperation motivated me.

Uglyduckling

Who says it has to be for life? I think there is probably recovery for any anxiety disorder. I pray there is, anyway. I think that it has to do with changing things in your life to make it much more manageable. Finding some type of purpose, interests, hobbies, faith. I think this is what it means to enjoy life.

sensitive

i absolutely agree with Uglyduckling however i think it need intense work, it's not easy at all. it may take several months- few years to overcome it if you work hard. guys, i can't live with the idea i will have it forever :? .

renegade

jerim said:
I went through the net and search for information about social anxiety.It seems its totally incurable as it will stick with u for the rest of your life.The only thing that can be done is minimise the panic attack.Anyone here has recovered from social anxiety?

Boy, so it's hopeless ? :x

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I can't live the rest of my life with this, I want my own family one day, a group of friends to hang out, a decent job....... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

it's a curse :evil: [/b]

Chilling__Echo

i think it will always be with us on the inside, but i'm able to live a normal life without hoving to worry about it thanks to counseling and meds and forcing myself to step outside my bubble

flower29

I don't think you sound over confident

IcanDoIt said:
taws said:
you can certainly get better but yea i doubt youll ever be on the same level of someone who doesnt have SA.

sorry to burst your bubble..

i think i am, or even better than someone who doesnt have SA

not being overconfident here, even though i may not be the most confident guy when facing certain challenges, i am sure i am ahead of some people who doesnt have SA..

do i sound overconfident here?

arrggh.. :wink:
Becuase you can be on a different level than someone who never has SA because you are more aware of yourself than they are. THink about it! they never had a reason to take a look at themsleves inside you did so you are more aware of things inside your mind and how your brain and feeling work.

Zipper

SA is certainly not one of those things that you will get over in a day, or a week, or a month, or a year, but there is also good grounds for the expectation that one day in the distant future, you will remember all the things that made you anxious, and you will wonder how you had ever been in that frame of mind.

If you begin to welcome challenges, and grow in your willingness to make mistakes and learn from your mistakes. If you accept that people around you have good will and do not want to treat you cruelly. If you take risks and laugh off conflicts as they arise... In time you will not lable your problems "SAD," you will just call it "normal life" with all its attendant risks and rewards.

Have courage.

Chilling__Echo

If you begin to welcome challenges, and grow in your willingness to make mistakes and learn from your mistakes. If you accept that people around you have good will and do not want to treat you cruelly. If you take risks and laugh off conflicts as they arise... In time you will not lable your problems "SAD," you will just call it "normal life" with all its attendant risks and rewards.

Zipper this is wonderful!! you couldn't have put it any better - i couldn't agree more! you have to learn to let things come as they are and let them roll off your shoulders. well said.