is it possible for this to just fade away?

eso

When I was younger I had all these symptoms.. when I was really young, about 5-8 I always thought an evil witch was watching me from somewhere and I had to do things or she'd hurt me. So I had to go back and turn a light on or off, or I had to go through a doorway the right way or I'd have to do a certain event like squat down or touch something or whatever. etc. I don't know if that's something anyone else had.

Anyways, that witch thing stopped as I turned into an older kid but I had to do things like if I tapped on a chair 5 times w/my left hand i'd have to do my right the same number on the exact area on the other side. Or if I turned around I'd have to 'unwind' myself and turn the other way. Or if I touched something I'd have to touch it exactly the right way. There were tons upon tons of other stuff I did, I can't even begin to list all the dumb things I did concerning symmetry, counting, and doing things related to all of that.

I never had any issues with cleanliness, but I simply cannot stand anything on me at all. I can't have anything of a weird texture on me. I have to keep my hands clear or I will go crazy. I can't stand seeing similar things on others, like mud or slime or whatever.

These things were constant. It was every minute of every hour of every day if I wasn't focused on something else entirely to distract me.

Now here's the weird part... all of these symptoms just kinda disappeared around when I was about 20ish. I'm now in my 30s. I still can "feel" these things, and I remember *exactly* how they used to feel, but I just don't do them anymore at all. I still have issues with stuff on me/my hands but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I also still do a few very mildly OCD things but so infrequently it doesn't affect my life at all.

I didn't do anything conscious to stop these things, they just stopped. I wasn't getting the "reward" for doing them in my head anymore. I have no clue why this is. My question, is this normal or heard of? What the heck happened to me?

getbornagain

I've heard there's no way to ever completely get rid of this b.s. You have to learn how to control it when it spikes.... I can remember opening cabinets and closing them several times before grabbing something outta the cupboard. And walking through doorways back and forth a couple times before doing anything haha. I don't do any of that shit any more though... now it's all intrusive thoughts. I think you just move on to a new obsession/compulsion when you're done with a previous one.

Lexmark

I just rememberd i used to do things like that when i was younger.
Maby not so full on but i completly forgot about it until now
I guess i grew out of it

isnteasy

eso said:
When I was younger I had all these symptoms.. when I was really young, about 5-8 I always thought an evil witch was watching me from somewhere and I had to do things or she'd hurt me. So I had to go back and turn a light on or off, or I had to go through a doorway the right way or I'd have to do a certain event like squat down or touch something or whatever. etc. I don't know if that's something anyone else had.

Anyways, that witch thing stopped as I turned into an older kid but I had to do things like if I tapped on a chair 5 times w/my left hand i'd have to do my right the same number on the exact area on the other side. Or if I turned around I'd have to 'unwind' myself and turn the other way. Or if I touched something I'd have to touch it exactly the right way. There were tons upon tons of other stuff I did, I can't even begin to list all the dumb things I did concerning symmetry, counting, and doing things related to all of that.

I never had any issues with cleanliness, but I simply cannot stand anything on me at all. I can't have anything of a weird texture on me. I have to keep my hands clear or I will go crazy. I can't stand seeing similar things on others, like mud or slime or whatever.

These things were constant. It was every minute of every hour of every day if I wasn't focused on something else entirely to distract me.

Now here's the weird part... all of these symptoms just kinda disappeared around when I was about 20ish. I'm now in my 30s. I still can "feel" these things, and I remember *exactly* how they used to feel, but I just don't do them anymore at all. I still have issues with stuff on me/my hands but it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. I also still do a few very mildly OCD things but so infrequently it doesn't affect my life at all.

I didn't do anything conscious to stop these things, they just stopped. I wasn't getting the "reward" for doing them in my head anymore. I have no clue why this is. My question, is this normal or heard of? What the heck happened to me?

I've posted in other posts here about this but when I was 14 or 15, i had the same thing going on.. it was so bad for a few years and it just vanished one day. Just like that.. I wasn't getting the "reward" or just didn't care anymore.. I think it was because I got busier and got a job and started getting a life.. i'm not sure but whatever it was, it was wonderful. I am now 31 years old and just lost my job 20 days ago and eversince, the feelings have come back EXACTLY how they were when I was 14 to 16.. i'm so scared right now because I remember how frustrating it was and how much anxiety came from it.

Anyway, not to try and discourage but consider yerself lucky if it just "went away" It happened for me so I know it can happen.. Maybe it's just that it lies dormant in your system.. who knows?? but what you need to do is maintain a healthy life.. No drugs.. nothing.. just excercise and good eating.. When and if the first sign of it shows up again, dismiss it.. don't give into the urge or first ritual..I think that's what "Got" me this time.. I lost my job, started obsessing, then ritualizing and now it's a visciouse cycle that I'm not sure what to do about but wait.