Is Erythrophobia genetic?

adamm

HI!
This week when I was talking to my mum about our bad past experiences we had in our lives, I started talking about my fears. In few minutes I found out my mum has Erythrophobia too. I knew she gets red and nervous quite often, but I did not know it is such a problem for her. She seems to have the same symptoms as me and really bad anxiety, which I thought only I have. I also found out that my grandmother takes some medication to 'quiet her mind'. Although I did not ask her about erythrophobia I can tell she gets red very easily, so I know what it is for. I think she may be not even aware of why is feeling like that. No one in my family spoke about this problem. It was by accident that I found out. It looks like erythrphobia was passed from my grandmother to my mum and then to me. This got me thinking, is erythrophobia only in our head? I do not think so. I have been reading articles, about research on animals and it looks like phobias may be passed genetically! In that case there is no way to 'treat' erythrophobia, I just have to accept it and stop worrying.

If you feel that someone in your family has similar problem, talk to them. It is very difficult, but you will feel 10 times better and more understood.

surewhynot

This got me thinking, is erythrophobia only in our head? I do not think so. I have been reading articles, about research on animals and it looks like phobias may be passed genetically! In that case there is no way to 'treat' erythrophobia, I just have to accept it and stop worrying.

Being genetically predisposed to a condition doesn't mean that you cannot treat it, just that you're more likely to face it.

adamm

Being genetically predisposed to a condition doesn't mean that you cannot treat it, just that you're more likely to face it.

That is a good point. I am trying to treat it for the past few years and it is about 70% better that what it use to be. I think the most important thing is getting really conscious of your emotions by using meditation and changing your self image through visualisations. This helps to change your subconscious reactions and the way you view and analyse things.

yigithal

hello...

i have been suffering from erythrophia and facial blushing since 15 years

i am afraid yes it is genetic. my father also has erythrophobia , and his uncles too... it is said my father used to blush in classroom like a red beet .... now his cheeks and face is also very red... and my elder sister suffers from facial blushing too....

i guess it is genetic