Is anyone here interested in being a psychiatrist/therapist/conselor

sullyS1985

Are you interested in the field of psychology? I personally am because I have been to the depths of hell and can understand those who act "abnormally"? I guess labeling someone "abnormal" depends on the perspective of the evaluator. I have a weird attraction to every "abnormal" individual I meet. Whether it be romantic or not. Therefore, I think I would make a great mental health worker? does anyone else feel this way or have an opinion about it?

SpLynx

Yes I feel the same way but I didnt choose to study psychology :( I feel I made a misake.

I'm currently training at the moment. It's an amazing journey to tell you the truth, it helps you make sense of so many things in life (from earliest beginnings right up until what just happened a few minutes ago) and helps to give you a clearer picture of the things that go on around you.

I must say, it definitely takes a certain kind of person to be a great therapist from what I've learnt so far. I've met some people that are academically gifted and what most people would consider intelligent, yet they show a complete lack of 'emotional' intelligence and struggle to connect with other people on their level. This isn't just from what I've seen in my classes, I saw 2 therapists when I was suffering with panic attacks years ago. The first was absolutely useless, I've no idea how she managed to become a counsellor. She was clearly educated but couldn't make the connection with me because she was to interested in having a more domineering part in the relationship and that made me withdraw. How can you talk about intimate details with someone that is behaving like a school teacher?! The second guy was great and someone I often look to for inspiration. He is clearly intelligent also, but doesn't need to show that off and is more interested with connecting with you than fanning his own ego.

So with regards to training as a therapist, of course you need to have a reasonable amount of intelligence, but I guess you only become smart by getting an education anyway. So if you feel you can connect with people, why not give it a try? :)

I'm right now 17 and a senior high school student, so for me.. the time right now is applying to colleges and choosing majors. since I have SA, I started to watch people's behavior and reactions and keep analyze them. I guess it's pretty easy to do that as an social outcast w/ SA because watching them is the only thing left if you don't interact with people.

I seriously was considering psychology as my major, but I didn't know what to start with that. There're a lot of branches for psychology graduates including psychiatrist, counselor, and some branches in the advertising industry and probably a couple more. But all in all, being an psychiatrist means interacting with people. and thats the problem. I am afraid that I can't connect with people which is an important part in this job. My SA stands in the way and my social skills is simply lacking. As an SA sufferer, however, I have some insight for people with troubles as mine and I really want to help people with similiar problems.

AimeeSP

I'd love to be a counselor, i feel i'd be a good one as i'm able to connect with people when they are feeling low and make them feel comfortable talking about why they feel that way. I seem to be quite an empathic, sensitive person, but at the moment i'm too sensitive and worry about people too much, i'm scared of worrying so much that i'd end up making myself ill with major depression again.

Maybe when i'm older as i'm only 17, more experienced, and more in control of my feelings then i'll give it a go. :) I have a great interest in psychology.