Is anyone else always convinced you're being lied to when someone compliments you?

Whenever I get a compliment I'm almost always convinced they are lying to me. Like I'll think to myself "that's nice that they'd tell me a white lie to try and make me feel better about myself", but I can't think of more than a few occasions where I've actually thought a compliment was genuine.

Zooman

Yep...i have gotten compliments from people saying i am smart before, but i honestly feel like a moron. I don't see how i could be considered smart when i suck at everything. It's not like i did good in school either. I barely passed my math classes in high school and i just dropped out of college after only a few weeks of class, but that was because of my anxiety. I literally feel so worthless lately. Today was so ****ing hard, i woke up to a horrific nightmare in the middle of the afternoon (yeah that's when i've been waking up lately) and then for the rest of the day i've been on the computer realizing how much of a pathetic loser i am and feeling more and more depressed and hopeless. I sometimes don't feel like anyone understands. Even regarding people on this site with SA, i feel like i am doing so much worse than the majority...Is this how the rest of my days are going to be? I'm only 20 and i'm already a worthless hermit. I don't feel like i am good at literally anything. Man...idk wut to do...This sucks so ****ing bad....i'm literally at the point where even in my dreams i am contemplating suicide.

Last edited:

Sacrament

If you choose to believe they're lying, it's on you. It won't bring anything positive to your self-acceptance or overall life situation thinking that way.

Drummer90

I'm very over-analytical. I question the sincerity of everyone who even opens their mouth to say anything positive to me at all. Some days I can fake it to make it though. For years I would never really respond with a "thank you". Instead of responding I would just grin and continue whatever I was doing.

fate12321

Yep. I tend to over analyze things. I keep thinking that they just said that to cheer me up.

Zooman

I think it is also just the fact that i'm not an idiot so i know when someone is giving a bs compliment. If i thought they were being genuine it wouldn't really matter either, but i don't feel most compliments i get are genuine. I absolutely hate it when people pity me and do stupid stuff like lie to me to try to make me feel better.