iontophoresis for compensatory sweating?

wannabedry

Hi everyone, Im a post ets compensatory sweat sufferer. ive contacted klima, the company that makes various products including ionto machines and they say I can use larger sponges and do iontophoresis on my stomach, and back??
is this true? has anyone here done that? ive always thought ionto is only for hands and feet, but if theres people out there that can say they've gotten rid of stomach and back sweat with this machine id like to hear from them and try it myself. thanks

rxdc

Is ets the surgical procedure?

I'm not sure if it's possible to do iontophoresis anywhere other than the hand or feet, but since you're having sweating on your back and stomach I guess you could try topical medication.

I have compensatory sweating in my armpits but 1 application of drysol is good enough to stop the sweating for a few days, or at least reduce it. Stuff is pretty potent though. It really dries out my skin and it gets itchy. I try not to use it too much and also apply vaseline to the dry areas.

Amherst

Iontophoresis on other regions of the body is definitely possible but a bit tricky. You need to have a machine, like the Hidrex models, that have special attachments for other regions of the body. These usually contains sponges that you moisten just before you start the therapy. I know that some persons have had success with this. Some regions of the body are much more sensitive than others, and you might have to adjust the current and use sensitive settings, depending on where you use it.

In Germany, many physical therapy centers have what is called a Stangerbad, which is a bathtub in which an electrical current goes through the water. These are typically used for those with muscular problems or arthritis but they are also sometimes used for excessive sweating. I've never seen these in the United States, and I don't know which country you come from. If you go to the German wikipedia page and type in Stangerbad, you'll find a photo of one.

Definitely worth giving it a try.

wannabedry

Thanks so much guys! the stangerbad sounds fascinating! really. wow ill definitely research that . im in usa , not sure if we have such things but ill look at some info on physical therapy here and find out. yes ETS is the endoscopic thoracic surgery , i had it in 2002 to cure my sweaty palms and armpits. they severed my nerves at the T2,T3 junctions in the chest cavity. it was relatively successful for the palms , not very much for the armpits. but it transfered the sweating horribly and severely to the stomach and back, groin, buttocks, and legs. Basically im disabled now if in hot and humid weather. when in colder climates im relatively normal. but my problem is i love travel and i dont want to be in cold places so i hate my life!!!! HELP!!!!!

Amherst

One more suggestion here, one that I have used since my hyperhidrosis
is generalized and heat, humidity and exercise are the big triggers. I have ordered a number of undershirts from sutran, a Spanish textile company that designed shirts for one of their managers who suffered from compensatory sweating after ETS. They work extremely well, but they will increase your level of warmth, since they are extremely thick. Their sizes also tend to run small: order one size larger than you ordinarily would use. You also have to be careful with how you wash them - no fabric softeners, etc. My job entails massive amounts of public speaking, often before groups of several hundred and sometimes before journalists and the press. I have never once had sweat show through, even when giving presentations in overheated venues. Sutran now has polo shirts and boxers; I plan to order a few of the polo shirts to see how they work. The shipping costs are ridiculously high, but the shirts will give you a tremendous peace of mind, particularly when you're traveling. Their web-site is Sutran - CAMISETA para la SUDORACIN excesiva | HIPERHIDROSIS. I don't mean to sound like an advertiser for the company, but the shirts have been a godsend for me, since no one will be able to see that I am sweating. If you have the money, you might try these out.