Introducing yourself to different people without sounding ak

davemason2k

awkward. Meeting new people is always tough for me because I struggle to come up with things to say. For instance, if you are directly working with someone, it's easy to shake their hand and tell them your name and ask questions about the job until you get used to them, but if I have limited contact with somone inside or outside or work, it becomes so uncomfortable. I'll give you an example that happened to me several years ago at an old job

I worked at a supermarket stocking produce. One of the bank tellers was by the entrance door and produce section handing out promotional booklets. I didn't know her, I never worked with her, I had nothing in common, and I just felt too nervous to even talk to her. I was scared I would run out of things to say and feel bad about it. So, instead, I just did my job and never met her. That's fine, but then whenever she was handing out those things in the future I always felt awkward cause I didn't aproach her and say hi.

I need some good ways to introduce myself without coming off as awkward, plus I need some good ideas for keeping a conversation going instead of running out of things to say and it ending badly. There's so many different people out there and I fail to connect with so many people. It would be easy for me to chit chat with a guy who's wearing a sports jersey or team cap, but it's nearly impossible for me to come up with chit chat for a cute bank teller oran older lady who is working at the bakers. etc.

I understand that alot of conversation comes naturally, but I need something to say for those times I run out of stuff to say. Always like a backup script, you know? Can you guys recommend and self help websites or books on this? What has helped you guys getting past this problem?