In need of some help

Katjelique

I haven't been going to my classes, in particular my Arabic class. I know why I don't go, the thought of being in a room having to speak a language I don't know well to a class full of people makes me sick. In the beginning I was going regularly but I had a problem with a roomate that made me miss a bunch of class meetings, so then I felt behind. How can I explain this to my Arabic instructor so I can atleast pass the class? Any suggestions would be nice.

Ddarko

well, it depends on how many classes... the first thing I'd say is, if you do have social anxiety, learning and speaking new languages may not be the easiest thing you could do (I'm horrible at it). If you don't want to lie outright, you could just say that you've been having personal difficulties and that you'd be willing to take an incomplete at the end of the semester or do whatever is necessary in order to continue with the class and pass. If you've only missed a few meetings it shouldn't be a huge deal. Or you could just say you were sick.

I know it's difficult... trust me, I took French at UC Berkeley last year and I hated it. I mean it was a grad class with only 15 students and every class we'd have to translate sentences out loud.