I'm ok the 2nd time around

bigs

I have what seems to be a very odd social issue. I was wondering if anyone else suffers from this type of condition. Whenever I am faced with a social situation, even if it is one I have successfully managed before, I get pretty nervous. This nervousness varies according to the situation. For example, phone calls are tough but I can get through. Presentations or speaking in front of a group or authority figure are somewhat harder. I get all the signs of anxiety, trembling voice, sweating, shaky hands, etc. during these situations.

Oddly enough, once they are over, even if I didn't "perform" well I feel like I can immediately face the situations. Like once I speak in class once, even though I'm terrified, I am no longer afraid to do it the next time. I am even eager to jump back in and prove to myself that I can do it without anxiety, which I usually do. I should note that this only covers maybe a day or two and then my mind erases itself and the cycle repeats again. I have to go through the whole process again and rebuild my confidence. I know this sounds very strange but I was wondering if any of you could help or have experienced this. Thanks.

bigs

I know what you're saying. I feel like I'm on the edge of beating my anxiety but that I just don't get enough opportunities to "practice." Of course part of that is me self selecting activities and such that allow me less practice.

Kalima

Bigs,

I completely see what you're saying. I too experience that. it seems like i may get thru something w/out anxiety crippling me but maybe the next time around it seems as hard as it was the first time. But like Grumblina said, we just gotta practice practice practice. yeah, it's easier said than done but just think about great athletes. how did they get so good? yup, it goes back to that "p" word. and this is where the changes begin. So Bigs keep on making progress. we'll all make it even if we take baby steps. tap tap tap :D

redlady

Hey bigs yeah i've experienced that - it doesn't happen all the time though. After i've done it i feel this sort of 'high' that makes me feel i could do it again. I wish i could WILL that feeling. Because like you said it wears off and again you find yourself doing battle with that same old all consuming fear.

Pearl

I can relate to this topic, it's a good reminder to practice exposure repeatedly. When l do something that l thought l couldn't do l feel up and think l can do it next time, but usually avoid it again or leave a big gap so it' ends up just as hard. Takes awareness and alot of effort and courage to face difficult situations.