I'm now a manager...yay?

Toad

just a rant read if you want:

Well...this is my 5th year working as a lifeguard, which I hate with a passion but I am able to keep myself occupied in my time down. Unfortunately for me this makes me a good worker...so I get more hours, and now I manage when the other managers are out of town. Managing basically means that I get paid more to do less...yay? No not really.

I hate managing because I am forced to make some decisions that not everyone will like...such as when we need 2 guards up vs 1 guard. Some people get mad at me...well I'm thinking they are but they probably don't mind much, and then I am constantly worrying whether or not they still like me. Also when I manage I have to occasionally confront adults if they are causing problems, which is hard as hell for me but as long as I get really pissed at them before I talk to them I'm ok...I know I sound like a huge asshole to them, but whatever works i guess.

I also am unwilling to assign tasks to other people, so I just do everything myself, which I don't mind because it keeps me busy and the guards like working with me because of this...besides if I don't do it then I won't be satisfied and it will just annoy me the rest of the time I'm working that day. Since I do this though, some of the guards think I have no authority (which in reality I really don't) and start bugging me about things like letting them go home early. I hate this, because I have to say that they can't and then they get mad at me.

I managed tonight and it was terrible. Of course nothing happened, and when the other manager came in later to help me close (this was the first time I managed a closing shift) he complimented on how nice the place looked. Sure he was satisfied, but I still can't help feeling like I failed the guards I was managing, and I get to work with most of them tomorrow as a guard...can hardly wait :( .

I don't deserve more power nor do I want it, but if I tell the head manager that I just want to work as a guard, I'll just be a dissapointment and a failure to myself which I am unwilling to be. I'll be managing a lot in a few weeks because some of the managers are going on vacation...get paid more to do less...I can't believe I'm complaining about this :? .

Scottish_Player

Hey Toad,

First off congratulation's on getting the managing job :D

I know how you feel about having to give people jobs to do, but think about it, the reason they gave you the job is because they know you are up to it, its just your lack of self confidence thats telling you diffrent. If they think you can do it then just keep telling yourself you can do it :wink:

black_mamba

I understand what you're saying about not feeling as if you have adequate authority to manage others. I know because my partner and best friend moan about it too, aaaall the time. :roll:

I'm really impressed by the fact you're in such a confrontational and social job in the first place Toad. By the sounds of things you don't want to make your co-workers dislike you by making certain decisions. But this is the nature of managment - my friend manages a bunch of straggly teenagers in a fast food restaraunt and most of them dislike him because he is very authoritarian, but very fair with it. For that, they respect him. It is harder for you because you've not been a manager from the word go, your co-workers probably see you as one of them.

Its that age-old fear of being disliked isn't it? I don't think theres a chance in hell of everyone on this planet liking me or you or the next person, and as soon as we get comfy with that idea the thought of being disliked isn't so bad. (Well, it works for me).

But congrats on the news, you're going up in the world. :D

Yossarian

Go Toad! Must be scary but you'll get used to it. Have faith in your abilities. You didn't get the position for nothing. You can only do what you think is best. Transitions are always hard but you'll find your feet eventually. Definately a yay!

Chilling__Echo

hey toad, congratulations! i know you're not too thrilled but try and have a little faith in yourself. i think it's natural to want to challenge authority and those people might be lazy anyway. just stand firm in your actions and you'll be fine.

i don't know how you confront the parents - i could never be a manager. at least as a sales *associate*, any customer that i can't deal with or gets fussy with me i can - and am supposed to - refer to a manager... but if you've done it before with success, be proud and know you can do it again!

Toad

Thanks everyone...I just have trouble seeing good in anything I do I suppose.

black_mamba said:
It is harder for you because you've not been a manager from the word go, your co-workers probably see you as one of them.
You are absolutely right about this...it also makes it harder for me to make them do anything, because I know all of the other stuff they have to (or are supposed to) do, because I've done it all.

As for confronting the parents...I do try to avoid this, but sometimes it gets to a point where something they are doing becomes dangerous. I think the fact that I'm responsible for everyone there forces me to just suck it up and confront them. Getting pissed at them helps too :twisted: Fortunately this doesn't happen very often.