IAM ONLY HAPPY WHEN IAM SAD ! Just some mumbo jumbo

Scottish_Player

"I am only happy when I am sad"

I read that somewhere once and it applied to me so much. For me when I am sad I feel happy but not happy as in smiling happy more of a contented happy. Its like I know the feeling I am feeling is real for once and I don’t have to pretend no more. Everyday I feel like I am pretending or just acting out a role I have to play. I go to work and play my part and then I can come home and be my happy sad self again. it’s a mixed up feeling a bit like my loneliness feeling, I have so many people around me yet I still feel lonely because there is no one in my life that I truly feel close to or that I could confined in and having to keep all this stuff to myself really doesn’t make things any easier but at the same time I don’t want to find that someone that I can confine in and end up scaring them away with all my problems and complications. Its hard to describe but I just know there is something missing from my life like there is a gap that needs to be filled but I just don’t know what it is I need to fill it with. Well maybe I think I know what it is but I am not sure? I think it is love that is missing from my life but until I find love I will not know if this is what I am missing. :roll:

black_mamba

So we only feel truely happy when we are ourselves right?

Like everyone always says; be true to yourself, your personality, your desires.

But there is a limit to that, and you cannot get ahead in life without some level of social interaction.

So what do we do? Compromise on our behaviour to get along for a few social annoyances only to get home and get annoyed at ourselves for putting on an act?

I can't figure this stuff out. I mean, I was all about being true to myself as a teenager, but what if that meant being a serial killer? I think I'm more willing to be social in order to get ahead but I'm still very happy being miserable. Sad but true.

[shirley manson wannabe] I'm only happy when the mood is bad, I'm only happy when it feels so saa-aad. [/shirley manson wannabe]

I have so many people around me yet I still feel lonely because there is no one in my life that I truly feel close to or that I could confined in and having to keep all this stuff to myself really

I think our lonliess is amplified by being around people yet not feeling close to any of them. 8O

Carina33

I often feel the same way as you... or at least somewhat similar. I can never be really happy... because when I get too happy about anything, I just get nervous. I just start to think that 'This isn't right.... this isn't right... I hate this, things are never this good.' I know that it is wrong.... but right when things go wrong and I feel bad again, it always makes me a little bit relieved. Today, I finally had a day that I didn't enjoy at my job and finally I feel normal again. The last few days I have been really happy with my job, but it only made me nervous because I hadn't been so happy in a long time and I knew it wasn't right.

believesomething

Can I just say this topic is "doing my head in"! (don't know if that phrase exists outside of Aus / UK, so it's "driving me crazy" if I need to translate :) ).

I feel like I can agree with at least part of each person's reply, as well as the original post. But then I get stuck.

One part of me wants to say "well, it's ok, because some happiness is a good thing", and I try to think of ways to use that happiness, positive outcomes. The other part of me knows that if happiness just comes from sadness, then that's probably bad. Hmmm.

Maybe the only thing I think I've worked out (and I'm about to explain this quite badly) is that there is, for me & some of the other posters it seems, certain levels of anxiety / fear attached to being happy. I guess this could be as if you're quite happy, there's more likelihood that the next change will be a negative one. If this is the case, then there's lower anxiety (it feels more comfortable?) when we're down, as the next change is more likely to be up. And then the cycle continues...

So by saying "we're only happy when we're sad", are we really saying "we're less anxious when we're sad", on the assumption that "we're more happy when we're less anxious"?

BelieveSomething

Carina33

Wow, BelieveSomething... I think you are right about that. Maybe it's not being "happy" when you are sad..... but just being more comfortable because of how "normal" things seem to be? Like I said... being too happy just makes me nervous, because I feel used to things going wrongly. When things go do go badly, or at least not well, that anxiousness disappears. Maybe by being sad... there is only a comfortableness, rather than a happiness, at the way that things are going.