I will give you $5 if you do this and NOT overcome SA.

madeup

I want 5 people from this forum to volunteer for this experiment. You will do what I did to overcome SA and if – in 4 months – you don’t feel like your SA has significantly improved, I will give you $5 through paypal.

Given it’s not a lot of money, but I work for minimum wage and I live in San Francisco (where the rent is tremendous) so it is the best I can do right now.

Before reading on I suggest you read my other thread if you haven’t yet. And PLEASE note that the beginning of the post seems offensive until you read the whole thing.

http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/postt19636.html

Now, here’s what you have to do:

1. Listen to a self-esteem tape every night as you sleep (8 hours worth hopefully). Get it from a reputable company. Find one for free online if you don’t want to pay for it.

2. Record yourself saying the following:

“I deserve to be social. I am responsible for becoming social. My plan for becoming social works. Being social is appropriate for me. I can become social. I want to be social.”

NOTE: Say it as confidently and with as much passion as you can. Don’t worry about sounding silly. Add it to your ipod or whatever as a playlist on top of the self-esteem tape so that they play one after the other over and over again as you sleep. IMPORTANT: Email me the recording you make so that I know you’re actually doing this stuff and not just screwing around trying to win $5 from the internet.
ALSO: You have to listen to the self-esteem tape and the recording you make every night. If you miss a couple of nights during the 4 months – that’s okay – but you really need the consistency of listening every night to feel the effect.

3. Practice letting go of control (self-consciousness) in social situations on a daily basis. I’m going to go into detail on this later.

4. Give an update on your thoughts/feelings and how your anxiety is doing once per week here on this thread.

The offer is that if you do all of these things and STILL suffer from social anxiety after 4 months, I will give you $5 for wasting your time, apologize, and do my best to understand why it didn’t work for you.

I want to get this going by Saturday the 20th and I need 5 volunteers. Post here if your interested and tell me why you want to try this. You can PM me if you want. I’m looking for people who are frustrated but who truly want to overcome SA as soon as possible.

I wanted to make this as simple as possible so the only requirements are:

Listening to the tapes/recordings, practice some simple mental exercises in social situations that I'll detail later, and write a journal entry once a week.

Whose down?

I'm already listening to an NLP Social Phobia session for about 4 days already and I can say that it's actually working (Little by little). When I first listened to it, I really didn't buy what it was saying but I realized that it was just me (It takes total focus practice) and it wouldn't really change me in one or two tries that quickly so I decided to keep just listening to it.

So madeup you're cured now eh? That's nice for you to offer some help. However a lot of people here give up too easily when it comes to CBT or NLP. That self esteem tape you're saying is CBT right?

These kinds of treatments will only work for those who are not stubborn and are really willing to change. If you give up to easily after first or second try just because you think that it doesn't work then you're not trying hard enough (I had that problem too).

siren_0_0

I need 5 dollars NOW!! I'll try your experiment after you give me 5 bucks through paypal tonite. :lol: