i think i may have social anxiety...

littlebunnyfoofoo

i've recently found that i have a lower sense of self-esteem. it used to be very very high, until i had a self-realization. now i find it hard to talk to people at all. i feel like i can't connect with others... that they're constantly judging me/trying to figure me out. i find that i can't keep a smile on my face when i'm talking to people--it just fades down into a frown.. does anyone else have this problem? i've lost connections with old friends..i feel like they don't understand me at all! i've also noticed i have trouble being close to someone physically.. like knees touching for example. i notice my heart rate and as i pay attention to it, it gets faster and faster ..and then ifear that they might feel it and know that i'm nervous. i constantly get flushed and hot and sweaty when i'm around new people. i don't know what's wrong. it's like i lose my sense of self whenever i'm around people because i'm afraid they won't like who i am. does anyone have any advice that might help? i haven't been to a doctor.. i don't really want to see a doctor.. and i'm very scared about medication. so any other recommendations? thank you for taking the time to read this.

SilentType

Banned
I have suffered from social phobia to full blown agoraphobia for the last few years or so and I can identify with everything you've described that makes you think you're social phobic. You definitely have this illness, and you definitely should get help. It's the most effective way around this illness.

At first, everyone is hesitant about seeing a psychiatrist/psychologist. Don't let the idea of medication scare you so much. Would you rather suffer from this debilitating illness for the rest of your life or take care of your issues now before they get out of control. Believe me, you probably haven't seen your worst days of social phobia and if you get help now you could avoid the complete meltdown that some of us have experienced from SP.

I hope you can swallow your pride and go to the doctor about this. Until you do you're just allowing your SP to hold you back.

Peace