I think I have OCD?

I don't know which of this is really OCD, or just my personality, but:
So, as long as I can remember, whenever I would step on a crack, doorway, some kind of unique section of the ground either by texture or by vision(even peripheral, like I step in a spot next to the only rock in the side walk), I NEED to go back and step on it with my same foot over and over again until I feel better. Sometimes it takes one step, sometimes twenty, sometimes it depends on how hard I step. Some times I try not to go back and step again, but my brain tells me I have to or else, and I start thinking "how I will never get to step there again". I also get a weird feeling in my foot until I step there.
I also do this with touch, like my hands and arms. If my hand touches something, I sometimes have to keep touching whatever it was with my hand in the same spot I touched it first. Like when I switch a switch on or off, I have to keep touching the switch.
I also HATE having my belongings have any sort of damage or something like that on them. I must have them clean and perfect, if not I start freaking out.
I also get very emotional when I lose something, irrespective to it's value(can be a penny, and eraser, etc...), and I will also start to freak out. This has been calming over the years though.
I HATE having a small tear in my papers' ate school, and whenever I accidently mess up on a letter(ex: make the horizontal line too long too long like in an 'e'). Whenever I write I like to have it perfect.
I also obsess with things whenever I get an interest in things, like think about it a lot and such(I do not know why).
There is way more too.
I have been wanting to ask my doctor about it, but I have not had a checkup in a while.
Is this OCD? I would like to control it, or get rid of it forever because I don't like it. It bothers me a lot.

gummybear22

YES that is ocd. some of the trademarks are checking, cleaning, and counting. You have shown the checking and cleaning one. I've had all three lol

And you've also shown other obsessive compulsive behavior.

OCD probably can't be gotten rid of completely, but rather controlled. a doctor visit is a very good idea.

Hmm.. And counting, like if I had multiple things and keep counting them to make sure I don't lose any? Because I do that a lot as well. I also sometimes have to touch with my OTHER hand or foot after I go back to touch it. I am also a complete germaphobe. I wash my hands constantly, and whenever somebody sneezes or coughs I get disgusted. I completely loose interest in whatever I'm eating or drinking whenever I find a contaminant in it, or somebody coughs/sneezes in my direction, and then I usually have to throw it away.

gummybear22

counting like counting a number of times of doing something is usually how it is. your counting things to make sure you don't lose any is checking.

Ohh.....I didn't really think it had to do with OCD, buut I always count how many food things I eat... Like my favorite food is pizza, and whenever my family orders one, I would tell them on which one I was on, and at the end I would proclaim how many I had eaten. My dad would always make fun of me for counting though. And when I would work at the blueberry farm, I would count how many buckets I had done so far, and the lady who took me would tell me to just work and not worry about the buckets. I always like to keep track of things too. I would count how many buckets of berries I had done that day, and the pounds, and how much money I had got, and add on it everyday. I also some pet invertebrates(Scorpions, Tarantula..) and I am keeping track how many crickets and how many molts they've have since I've owned them. I usually write it down, or put them as notes in my phone.

gummybear22

i believe you have ocd, but if you want it to have a chance of getting better, i say see what the doctor has to say, and ask him about things besides medicine that can help.

gummybear22

well there's loads of side effects from medicine; if something besides meds can help, then go for that safer route. keep in mind the doctor is prolly gonna push meds on you because they get paid for junk like that. i'd also look around the internet to see what has helped alot of people, and check into their safety.

well there's loads of side effects from medicine; if something besides meds can help, then go for that safer route. keep in mind the doctor is prolly gonna push meds on you because they get paid for junk like that. i'd also look around the internet to see what has helped alot of people, and check into their safety.

I'll do that. I talked to my mother about making an appointment, but she say my behavior is normal(washing hands, wanting to go and re-touch the ground repetitively), and shouldn't worry about it(but I do worry, I worry about a lot of things). Maybe she doesn't understand? But I don't know, I'm still going to talk to my doctor.

Hmmm... Yeah I think both. She said that she washes her hand a lot too, I just don't see her(I wash them everywhere, at all bathrooms, and at the kitchen, frequently), and when she was young she was afraid to step on cracks, and if she did she would feel bad. But I have to go and re-touch, which is different.

gummybear22

interesting that you both have ocd... i haven't believed that something like that could be genetic, but it seems that way, unless she influenced you when you were younger. when you were younger, do you remember copying what she did with her ocd stuff?

ImNotMyIllness

You're definitely exhibiting ritualistic behavior, which is a calling card for OCD. As far as medication, that depends on whether or not your OCD is interfering with your life and causing you a lot of grief.

Last edited:
interesting that you both have ocd... i haven't believed that something like that could be genetic, but it seems that way, unless she influenced you when you were younger. when you were younger, do you remember copying what she did with her ocd stuff?

Honestly, I have never ever noticed anything like OCD with my mother. I don't ever see her doing the foot tapping thing, nor do I ever see her wash her hands too frequently. I do believe she has some kind of attention problem. I have to say something like 4 times before she hears me(at the end I even have to raise my voice), even if I'm right next to her.
She just says that she used to not like stepping on cracks, and also washes her hands a lot. But I'm sure I wash my hands more than anyone in my house. Every time I touch something I think is 'dirty' after I wash my hands, I must wash again for a long period of time. 10-15 minutes is probably the longest time I will spend washing my hands after touching something very unsanitary.

Both. Sounds like you have the "ocd personality" (OCPD). Have you heard of this term?

Yep, it can certainly make life a living hell, at its worst.

I have not heard of this "OCDP"?

And yes, I really hate these activities I must do. I have to do these things every single day of my life almost... I can't even go out for a relaxing walk without doing the steppy-thing. The counting OCD does not really bother me though, I think it is useful. But me freaking out when I get an imperfect object, or I loose something does bother me. And me over thinking and getting extremely worried over small problems, is a problem.

You're definitely exhibiting ritualistic behavior, which is a calling card for OCD. As far as medication, that depends on whether or not your OCD is interfering with your life and causing you a lot of grief.

Not sure how urgent it is for me to get rid of this, but I just do not enjoy it, and can imagine my life without it and how perfect it could be.
I have always done these things, but I never knew what they were until I found out what OCD was, and I thought maybe I had it. That was maybe last year when I concluded I might have it, but have not done any true action against it. I originally tried suppressing my OCD-feelings and taking control of my self while I walked, or took my dog for a walk. Did not work at all.

gummybear22

instead of washing your hands uber much, b/c that's bad for your hands-there was a girl on tv and they did a story of her ocd, and one of her things was washing her hands all the time-->her hands have permanently changed colors to much lighter b/c of it. so instead of that, use hand sanitizer LOTION. so that it won't dry out your hands, and it will still get rid of the germs. Gold Bond Ultimate > Hand Sanitizer Moisturizer there's one i've seen on tv a while back

instead of washing your hands uber much, b/c that's bad for your hands-there was a girl on tv and they did a story of her ocd, and one of her things was washing her hands all the time-->her hands have permanently changed colors to much lighter b/c of it. so instead of that, use hand sanitizer LOTION. so that it won't dry out your hands, and it will still get rid of the germs. Gold Bond Ultimate > Hand Sanitizer Moisturizer there's one i've seen on tv a while back

Oooooo thanks.

gummybear22

are there any particular things that you do frequently that you feel like you mUst wash your hands right after? if so, try keeping a pair of light gardening/work gloves next to it so you won't have to wash your hands from it all the time. then, after you can actually SEE or smell stuff on the gloves from getting dirty, just wash them in the washing machine (and AIR DRY) then reuse them. you'll save on your water bill and save soap :)