I think I have a mild case of selective mutism, if not full fledged.

Tulicks

I say this because there are moments where I completely feel psychologically blocked from communicating, especially when it involves me halving to reply to something in which I consider mundane that someone asks me. I have never been a good small talker, I don't enjoy it one bit, and I personally think it's irrelevant and a waste of time and words.

Sometimes I will completely shut off and will put no effort into responding to what the other person is asking me. I know this sounds extremely rude on my part but it's not that I'm completely being unwilling to respond. Psychologically I feel like I can't. This only happens occasionally thankfully!! Once it passes I am more apt to respond to questions and get my voice out, but I find it hard sometimes, depending on what the conversation is about.

I think this selective mutism is associated with my social anxiety because I feel all the symptoms of social phobia when this mutism occurs. I feel anxious inside, and feel like I need to break the silence, but I hold it in because I honestly just don't want to talk, and feel that I can't.

Anyone else experience this?

MollyBeGood

Yeah I can relate a lot. I do think I have SM, too. I was at a party once and a guy was really just trying to get me to come out of my shell and he was asking me questions about horses which I usually can talk non-stop about and I couldn't get two words out to him. Gawd this happened to me an an interview once too. As far as small talk goes-eeek I hate it with a passion but I smile and nod and try to keep the focus off me and people usually don't even realize I am having anxiety and phobia, but I imagine some people do. I have no advice. I can relate though :) :(

Tulicks

狼;602802 said:
Yeah I can relate a lot. I do think I have SM, too. I was at a party once and a guy was really just trying to get me to come out of my shell and he was asking me questions about horses which I usually can talk non-stop about and I couldn't get two words out to him. Gawd this happened to me an an interview once too. As far as small talk goes-eeek I hate it with a passion but I smile and nod and try to keep the focus off me and people usually don't even realize I am having anxiety and phobia, but I imagine some people do. I have no advice. I can relate though :) :(

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who experiences SM. I didn't realize I had it until tonight... my dad was trying to talk to me and I wouldn't respond to anything he said. Part of it felt like it was just me deliberately refusing to respond to his questions, but on the other hand, it also felt like I couldn't reply with anything worthwhile. I'm not sure exactly if I am experiencing SM, it could be just that I am blank all the time in the mind and usually can't think of anything worthwhile to talk about. Thanks for responding!

MollyBeGood

It's good to know that I'm not the only one who experiences SM. I didn't realize I had it until tonight... my dad was trying to talk to me and I wouldn't respond to anything he said. Part of it felt like it was just me deliberately refusing to respond to his questions, but on the other hand, it also felt like I couldn't reply with anything worthwhile. I'm not sure exactly if I am experiencing SM, it could be just that I am blank all the time in the mind and usually can't think of anything worthwhile to talk about. Thanks for responding!

NP. I am just recently aware I have had it all my life and it goes beyond being shy or having SP. It sucks! It sneaks up on me at the weirdest times too. Last time I went home to visit my family I had it and that was the worst with my own family even. I know what you mean when you feel like you blank out too...I sometimes think being around overly talkative people triggers it in me though that isn't always the case...idk...it's really a mystery to me. :confused: