I started Oxybutynin yesterday as i couldnt get Robinul in the UK

scruffpot

So i started Oxybutynin (or ditropan) as my doctor couldn't get hold of Robinul in the uk. I had a consultation with a dermatologist and I got offered Botox at £400, so i said NO (too expensive) as I've sorted out the localised HH with my PRFS operation last year but have the odd bit of CS.
So i went back to my doctors and suggested about Oxybutynin and she said try it and see what happens. I'm on 2.5mg to begin with twice a day hopefully fingers crossed things will work.

I got told Glycopyrrolate was very expensive 3g of the stuff is £110 (ouch) and the cream is very hard to come by so went for the next best thing

Anyone else on the same thing?

Jezza

I got told Glycopyrrolate was very expensive 3g of the stuff is £110 (ouch) and the cream is very hard to come by so went for the next best thing

I don't know exactly what is meant by that, but obviously in the oral tablets there is between .5-2.0 mg per tablet, so say 2mg, with 3g you could make 1500 pills. I'm sure she meant something else though and yes, glyco is more expensive than oxybutynin. Oxybutynin is dirt cheap. I guess they don't mind giving people some extra side-effects if it's cheaper. It's the same here in the Netherlands by the way.

The Avert pills 2mg are listed for 74 canadian dollars per 100 on pharmacy.ca. I can't order meds there on personal title because they will be confiscated by customs (illegal), but just for an indication of how much it would have to cost; one Canadian dollar is about .6 Euros so about the same in pounds :). If you would take 3 pills/day which would be quite a respectable dosage that would last you more than a month. More likely, you'll use 4mg/day and some days you'll skip taking it so 2 months wouldn't be out of the question.

Interestingly robinul Forte (which is the same stuff sold in the US) is a lot more expensive...But still...there are lots of meds people have to take that are more expensive. Just a matter of medics not acknowledging the advantage of glyco over older, more crude anticholinergics for monetary purposes (probably driven by cost cutting insurance companies).

Btw, I've read from another forum member here in the UK (release) he does get robinul on the NHS(?) but he said it cost him quite some trouble to get there. But maybe he could tell you something about that...

Last edited:

bigchris

Hey scruffpot,

I'm pretty much same position as you, they didn't offer me botox and the dermatologist I had said he thought Ditropan was the better medicine and by that he probably meant cheaper. Ditropan isn't too bad stuff but from what I've read it sounds like Robinul is better. I usually take 2 x 2.5mg tablets before I go out places, don't bother with 1. How are you finding oxy?